Not getting a bid.. No fun

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by Mrk'sLawn, Apr 6, 2006.

1. Mrk'sLawn

Mrk'sLawn LawnSite Member

I just started this season... Did some flyers only 250 and an add in the local paper I have gotten around 8 calls in the past week. Is this good? I know I still need to do more.. The thing is I went to price a property tonight 16000 sq ft gave him price of 56.00 seems reasonable to me.. Maybe a bit high..? Anyway he said another guy gave him a price of 40.00 a wk x 2 times a week.. Does this sound right. I was only offering that price for once a week.. Any help or advice would be great.

Thanks

Mark

2. Billz

Billz LawnSite Member

well it is hard to get $40 here for a lot that size. Are you set up for that size lot? Most companies who are have 2 ZTRs and will be out of there with trimming and edging in about 10-15 minutes. You need to decide what the ideal customer is for you (size, area, etc) and concentrate on them.

3. topsites

topsites LawnSite Fanatic

Ok, yes I would say you were a tad high while 40 was right according to my own guide.

Here's the deal: An acre is 43,560 square feet, thus:
    1/4 acre = 10-12k (bit rough, but you gotta allow the room for this to work)
    1/3 acre = 12-16k (ok it's not exact, but bare with me...
    1/2 acre = 16-23k
    and so on... i think 2/3 acre = 24-28k, 3/4 acre = ~30k, 1 acre = 1 acre lol.

So then here's my guide:
    Grass Cutting Services:

- 1/4 acre lot: Avg. $ 35.00
    - 1/3 acre lot: Avg. $ 40.00
    - 1/2 acre lot: Avg. $ 45.00
    - 2/3 acre lot: Avg. $ 50.00
    - 3/4 acre lot: Avg. $ 55.00
    One acre lot: Avg. $ 60.00
    1.5 acres $85, 2 acres 110.00
    2.5 = 135, 3 = 155, 4 = 195.
    5=230, 6=260, 7=285, 8=310.
    Min. Charge: $ 35.00

Thus, 16k sq.feet falls right into 1/3 - 1/2 acre and $40 to $45 is right but it's really a close call, so the guy with the 40 dollars, well if this is low-balling then shoot me, he just took the low road but he's not way out there... It's almost a coin-flip decision, for lack of better words, if you need the business I'd even advise taking the low road in this case.

Please use this guide if you like, it should help.

4. RB Lawn

RB Lawn LawnSite Member
    from Ga

I went to do an estimate today,around 1/2 acre, lot of fence line,tree roots sticking up everywhere,up hill and down hill in some parts, yard a complete mess, and out of my way,and guy wanted it cut once every 2 weeks. I said $45.00 and he said nope, my old lawn guy did it for $35.00, but no longer cuts grass.I told him ok, find somebody to do it for $35.00 then, and walked off and left. People want their yards mowed for nothing I guess, but not this feller.:nono:

5. daveintoledo

daveintoledo LawnSite Silver Member

give your price hold firm, and be polite, many times they call you back........

you may have been a little high, but thats ok, beter high them low...it takes some time to learn to bid well, ... get em next time..:weightlifter:

6. topsites

topsites LawnSite Fanatic

You make a good point, no doubt my guide is for the average yard and in a lot of cases when they throw money around during conversation, what you hear may or may not be true (and I dare lean towards saying exaggerated).

In this thread, I can not figure out if the guy said the bit about the 40 dollars AFTER the price of 52 was given (in which case I'm ok with it), or if he threw it out while the estimating was going on... Because if the last is the case, then 52 was close to what I would've quoted (i.e.: higher for trying to lowball me).

I can't stand that crap about so-and-so used to do it for xx amount. One day when I'm in the mood I'll have to come back with 'why is it, in the hundreds of times I've heard this story, the old guy always did it for a lot less? How come it's never more?'

Oh by the way, you'd be surprised how many times it's just a bluff... You may have done the right thing by bidding it at 52, I can't tell other than by square footage, if it was a lot of bs ...?

7. Mrk'sLawn

Mrk'sLawn LawnSite Member

Being that i'm just starting out I guess I should maybe stay on the low end until things get moving a little better, no? I just keep reading all the negative posts about being new and going to low on a bid.. I don't want my competition burning crosses (mowers) on my front lawn.. I'm using the formula sq ft x .003 etc.. I heard .003 is the going rate in this case I went .0035 BTW this is a great site for the new guy.. Lotso info.. Thanks for all the help..

Mark

8. chriscraft

chriscraft LawnSite Senior Member

you have to realize also you can only charge what the market can bare. the avg prive in our area is 35-40 an acre 1/2 acre is 30-35 1/4 acre and under is 20-25. If we charged 30 for 1/3 acre we would have 0 accts.

9. uvitols

uvitols LawnSite Member

in the same boat. love to hear some good advice to much more. im not to patient