1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Not getting any calls

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Four Star, Mar 31, 2004.

1. Four Star

Four Star LawnSite Member

This doens't look like its going to be a good season. I've done 7 estimates, all from flyers, and I think I got lowballed on all of them, since none of them called me back. MY ads started running last Monday(the exact same time as last year) and I have not gotten any calls, at all. I'm into the second week of ads for one paper, and the first week of ads for another set of papers, so maybe something will happen with the second paper. Maybe I'm worrying too much, but tomorrow is April 1st already. Doesn't look good. Anyone else having this problem at all?
  2. mtdman

mtdman LawnSite Gold Member

I usually don't start getting calls until April, most of my new clients I sign the last part of April into May. I find that many people put it out of their minds, don't worry about it until the weather warms up and grass starts to grow and turn green.

Now is the time to advertise, though. Get your name out there everywhere so when people do start to think about their lawns they think about you.
  3. Four Star

Thanks MTD,

I needed to hear that. I'm freaking out over here. Its just that last year was different, and I had about 25 calls by the end of March. I always think the worst though with this stuff: I spend the money on ads, and think that no one is going to call on them.
  4. mtdman

mtdman LawnSite Gold Member

Yeah, I go through the same thing every year. And every year my wife reminds me to chill out, by the end of April I'll be too busy to whine about it. Being on here somewhat magnifies the problem, as our southern brethren get going earlier than us with work. Always makes me nervous to hear about them working while the grass is still not growing up here, and the calls aren't coming yet. I got a lot of calls last weekend with the nicer weather. It's supposed to be sunny next week, I'll bet they start coming in then.

5. lawnworker

lawnworker LawnSite Senior Member

Four star, calls have been down here in VA. also. I hope it is just the weather being so off and on. The grass is a little slower this year, but calls are definitely down compared to last year. Lets say a lawn care prayer for each other.
  6. Four Star

sounds good to me, lawnworker. i hope this year isn't going to be as bad as i think it is.
  7. alpine692003

alpine692003 LawnSite Bronze Member

Well, over here where I am it's going very well.

I'm averaging $300 - 400 a day for landscaping, maintenance work.
  8. chevyman1

chevyman1 LawnSite Senior Member

that's Canadian money, so what is that like $50 here? haha, kidding man. I'm telling you guys right now, stop advertising by blanketing flyers and small ads...pay for the big newspaper ads and go door to door...your hit rate will increase
  9. bobbygedd

bobbygedd LawnSite Fanatic
    from NJ

no, it's not the weather, and i'll tell u why. i advertised in february, it was freezing cold, but, therte were only 2 other adds in the paper. i signed like a dozen new ones. now it's getting warmer, and closer to the season, i had one call in the last week. why? cus now there are 25 other adds in the paper. it's this competition thing, the one that you guys say doesn't make a difference
  10. Lux Lawn

Lux Lawn LawnSite Silver Member

My calls are down this year from the last couple but it has been raining almost everyday plus we had snow just 2 weeks ago and only a few nice days in between.