Not getting enough mowing contracts.....HELP!!

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by rppaving, Apr 12, 2013.

1. CreativeLawncareSolutions

CreativeLawncareSolutions LawnSite Silver Member

My phone is blowing up from my door hangers. Best response I've ever seen.

2. Classic cuts

Classic cuts LawnSite Member

All I do is advertise in Yellowpages and internet and what my truck and trailer show. I retain 98% of my customers every year and only take on a few a year. I do generally lawn cutting too as I do this mostly myself but do about 55 lawns a week about 1.5 acres and bigger so I have no time for anything else. I live in the country and getting accounts is like shooting fish in a barrel here. There are only a handle full of companies here who advertise, and half of them never return calls or answer there phone, and the rest of the part time wanna-be lawn guys arent insured so people wont hire them. Biggest downfall is pricing, a normal 2 acre lot with trimming and blowing will bring $50-70 tops per cut, there has been to many low ballers the last few years with Michigans economy being so bad, but its starting to get a bit better.

3. TeamYardsale4

TeamYardsale4 LawnSite Senior Member

I'm feeling the same way here in upstate NY, did my door hangers about 1 month ago when it first got nice and got like 7 calls in 24hrs. Then it snowed again and is still to cold for the grass to really get growing, did another 500 door hangers Monday and haven't got a single call plus sent out referral discounts to my repeating customers and nothing! I'm keeping my fingers crossed that in the next few weeks it will pick up if we can shake this colder weather! On a positive I've been doing about 5-7 spring cleanups the last few weeks but want the steady money from mowing accounts too!

4. dc33

dc33 LawnSite Member
    from Indiana

my phones been blowing up too. Almsot 500 calls...though alot for crap I have no interest in: mulch, fert, one time mowing, vacation mowing, mowing for a few weeks while their mower is in the shop, test mosw, tree removal ect.
    Given over 250 quotes, landed about 40% right now and my closer rate of recent is about 70%....all the early price shoppers dropped my closer rate :p

business is BOOMING!!!!

5. CreativeLawncareSolutions

CreativeLawncareSolutions LawnSite Silver Member

It truly is ridiculous how many calls and emails I've gotten. I'm turning away work.

6. dc33

dc33 LawnSite Member
    from Indiana

its a good problem to have eh? ;)