Not going full time this year

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by cantoo, Mar 9, 2001.

1. cantoo

cantoo LawnSite Silver Member

Well guys I caved in even before the season started. I gave notice at my job 2 months ago that I would be done on March 31. They have offered me some different jobs within the company the last few weeks. Today I finally decided I couldn't give up 15 years with the company yet. We don't have enough customers to replace my wages yet, we might be able to get them but I want a few more toys paid for so we can pick and choose the good jobs. My wife has actually been doing most of the cutting for our business, I do the spraying and fertilizing. We've decided that we will only do cutting and only do fert and spraying on our existing customers. With my new job I will be in Michigan for 3 days every week so won't be able to do any work during the week. I was really looking forward to a suntan this summer and holidays in Florida all winter. I have a good job and it's a good company, it's hard to just walk away,,,On the plus side, now I can justify getting a Dixie Chopper to work with my Walkers. I'm going to try to pick up one in Michigan sometime. My wife will have a choice of 4 different mowers to use and the cube van to haul them with and she won't have to put up with me. Oh well, maybe next year.

2. Vibe Ray

Vibe Ray LawnSite Senior Member

Hmmmmmmm............Read my signature, please.

3. kutnkru

kutnkru LawnSite Silver Member

Regardless of what advice any of us can give to you, ONLY the two of you will know whats best for your siuation.

I would also if possible try to stockpile the difference of the new position from the old so that if next season you decide to go off on a full time venture, that you will have the necessary start up collateral or payroll needed to offset the lack of two incomes.

Good Luck with your new position, and best wishes to your wifes journey this season!
    Kris

4. George777

George777 LawnSite Senior Member
    from Alabama

I've got 3 customers and no other income source at this time. Been getting kicked around with commerical bids and been pounding the pavement everyday. My wife is nervous but I have the faith that if I really want this way of life and I keep working it things will work out. I've kicked myself in the butt for underbidding, been laughed at and told "this is the highest bid I've ever seen". I'm gonna keep on pushing forward. If I kick enough rocks one will roll over. Rejection is all part of the game I figured out after the first week. Oh not to mention I got shafted into buying residental trimmers and edgers that the dealer told me was commercial grade. I think everyone goes through a storm before reaching the rainbow>

5. lakegastonla

lakegastonla LawnSite Senior Member

Cantoo, let me get this straight...your wife does the cutting and you have (or will have) four riders? Your accountant must be really pissed off. Hell, I'd sell three of em' an go fulltime in the biz. :)

[Edited by lakegastonla on 03-10-2001 at 12:01 PM]

6. HOMER

HOMER LawnSite Gold Member

George..............I told you to come down here and I would help you!

Cantoo, not to worry grasshoppa, you will know when the time is right. I put in 15 1/2 years and knew the time had come, maybe you only have 1/2 year! The difference between you and the rest of us is you are still happy with your job, I was really tired of mine, my decision was a little easier.

Good luck in whatever you do.

7. Greenkeepers

Greenkeepers LawnSite Senior Member
    from NE Ohio

Cantoo-

It sounds like your wife is in the business full time. Only you two can make the decision as to when the time is right. It's hard to give up a steady income for the unknown.

8. TJLC

TJLC LawnSite Bronze Member

"Don't sit upon the shoreline and say your'e satisfied,choose to chance the rapids and dare to dance the tide".

9. cantoo

cantoo LawnSite Silver Member

lakegastonla, yeah we have two Walker's, a 72" Ransomes, a Toro WBH even an old Yazoo that can cut. I'm looking into a Dixie or some other fast moving good cutting mower for the soccer fields and parks we do.
    Greenkeepers, my wife does most of the day to day work, she started the business, besides she says I can't cut straight enough so she does the cutting.
    I know I'm not quite ready to go full time now, I like to have everything organized in my life. I want the new business cards ready, the billing programs set up, the van set up right, the right tools for the jobs we want, etc etc. You guys know how it is. Oh yeah and paid for.

And the number one reason I'm not ready is- - - for years I have babysat 50 guys and have been the boss,, now my wife will be the boss and I will be the baby,, not sure I can handle that yet.

10. RNH

RNH LawnSite Member

Hey Cantoo, Know what you mean, I'm scared to jump from my safe job, been there 15 years also, but for me I hate that job. My problem is my wife is used to getting that same check every week, and is afraid that I'm gonna sink instead of swim. Gee no pressure there. But I'm doing it, I know that I can, If I get hungry enough I know I'll find away to make it happen.

Good Luck to you and your family...