Not Going to Fight this Guy

Discussion in 'Landscape Architecture and Design' started by Critical Care, Nov 13, 2004.

1. Critical Care

Critical Care LawnSite Bronze Member

Here are a couple pictures on my mother’s property of some damage to trees caused by some dude that needless to say I didn’t want to mess around with.

Since some trees were totally stripped, I immediately thought that deer were to blame. But, then I began to notice all of the vertical claw marks, generally in sets of five, and these claw marks would go some distance up into the trees where even acrobatic deer wouldn’t go.

It may be hard to judge size, but those are hefty trees in the pictures. I couldn’t spread my hand wide enough to span the claw marks. What really made my hair stand up on end were the fresh droppings on the ground.

claw marks.jpg

2. D Felix

D Felix LawnSite Bronze Member

It's things like that that make me glad I'm in the middle of Indiana, in no-wild-bear country!:)

Methinks if I lived where you did and I saw those marks, I'd be packing anytime I left the house for the woods....... Something much bigger than the .22 pistol I take with me now!!

Stay safe.

Dan

3. Critical Care

Umm... don't know about that, Dan. I'm not too sure I'd like to face a big Hoosier bagrilla down a dark alley.

Actually, my mom's place is up a canyon out on the coast. Nothing to worry about out here other than a mountain lion or two.

4. D Felix

D Felix LawnSite Bronze Member

I think I'd rather face a bear than a cougar. Bears usually only attack if they feel it is necessary, whereas cougars will attack because, to them, you are food....

Again, stay safe!

Dan

5. AGLA

AGLA LawnSite Bronze Member

Hell, I might have inadvertently added to his pile, if I saw that.

P.S. Are you sure the fresh pile was his?

6. activelandscaping

activelandscaping LawnSite Member

Those trees have an uncanny resemblance to a pair of legs, think I would be using mine to get me the hell outta there.

BTW,
    Don't leave any open garbage can's around, although you probably know that. :)

Regards,
    Active

7. dcondon

dcondon LawnSite Silver Member

Black bears are more scared of you then you are of them. The only time you have to be careful is when they have cubs. :)

8. Doogiegh

Doogiegh LawnSite Senior Member

Did they come from you? <G>

9. Critical Care

Actually not... but I always carry another pair of pants just in case.

I've had some people say, "Hey bud, you don't know sh**!" But, in this case I think I have it pegged. Saw enough of this - stuff - up in the artic.

Anyway, don't know how you'd protect your trees from these monsters, outside of packing a howitzer.

10. activelandscaping

activelandscaping LawnSite Member

That would be one scared bear. :p

A sow w/cub's will sure make a mess of you. If bears are well fed there not too bad, they don't generally see you as food but a hungry bear is a pissed bear.
    I was around bears quite a bit when I was in Sitka AK. They pretty much ignore you on the salmon flats, tons of fish and happy bears.

Regards,
    Active