Not happy...Lost lighting job..

Discussion in 'Landscape Lighting' started by TXNSLighting, Jun 9, 2008.

1. TXNSLighting

TXNSLighting LawnSite Fanatic
    from DFW, TX

To a major low baller!!!! This was a 44 light job. a little over 11k. someone came in behind me and is doing it for 4200 dollars...WTF?!! I am so mad right now. I want to hurt this guy so bad! This just kills me... this is the third time this has happened. What do you do in this situation?!
  2. Eden Lights

Eden Lights LawnSite Senior Member

You really would need to give us more information on how these have been going down, so some of the guys here can help you out. We do a sitdown in the house proposal that takes about a full 60-70 mintues. I try to define to the client why our services are the best value for them, this includes a explanation of all the possible options that they might take after I leave and I try to leave them with some pros and cons with each avenue. Yes, that includes giving them options that they might not know about, but if your work, products, and service is superior you have nothing to fear. If a client just doesn't have the time to listen then it's a battle you can't win, just let it go. I have gone to proposals before and decided not to even show the design.

You can not make everyone be your customers, but you can decide what type of customers you want to share your passion and excellence with.
  3. TXNSLighting

from DFW, TX

ok it hasnt happened 3 times... i dont know where that came from...sorry bout that. this is the first.

i figure im doing something wrong. i havent been closing near what i should be...i try to explain the warranties the difference between me and other companies around me. and of course the lowes and home cheapo lights, my main competition is from $215-295 per light.. but 95 a light?? i try to mention these people in my spill and i guess it goes over their head.

i have to be doing something wrong here... any help is greatly appreciated. i hate landscaping and want to only do lighting. weve done between 10-15 jobs but i of course want 2-3 per week. ask anything, i want to be better. i have a 20+ unique lighting demo kit. maybe its my spill or something. i know im not a very good sales person.
  4. The Lighting Geek

The Lighting Geek LawnSite Senior Member

Think about this: did you sell fixtures or did you sell artistry? How much time did you spend talking about competition vs. ambience? Do you have a killer portfolio to show off your work? a website? Did you do a demo? Is your marketing setting you up to close the deal or causing you to explain the difference between you and everyone else? Are you selling a service or setting trends? Don't feel you are alone here, because your not. But the fact is you were not in front of the right customer. They did not see the value of what you had to offer.
  5. Chris J

Chris J LawnSite Silver Member

If your doing a demo, you shouldn't have to say too much. The demo should speak for itself. Maybe that's the problem? Not trying to discredit you because 95/light is a bit crazy. I would suggest that this type of person was not your customer to begin with. People who have the money to spend on quality will spend it as long as you gain their trust. If you're just another clown, but happen to have a big price tag as well, they will read right through you.
    To answer your question about what to do in a situation like this: Simply smile and thank them for the opportunity to meet with them. Also tell them that you will be happy to service that cheep-ass lighting system in the future when the jerk who installed it won't call them back! Just don't say it quite like that.
  6. TXNSLighting

from DFW, TX

I did a demo of course. I only spent about 5 min or so on competition this that and the other. i try and tell them im trying to bring out the beauty in their home. it takes some time to get the right lights and to do this perfect. i try mojority of the stuff i hear here from you guys. i do have a poster which i use as my portfolio for them to see... i need something better, and web site is under construction. their taking way to long...
  7. TXNSLighting

from DFW, TX

the demo thing you said was my whole deal! i figured the lights will do the talking! but thats only worked on 2 or 3 jobs. the rest ive needed to pull something out my ars and it sometimes works sometimes not! Maybe these werent the right people i dont know, but gosh this was a 700,000 dollar house and the people made plenty of money. there was about 8 or 9 other lighting jobs in this neighborhood 5 of which were my main competitors, the others looked pretty bad. could be the same compan who stole this one from me i dont know. all i know is i have to figure this out fast. cuz i want to only do lighting. very tired of the landscaping crap.
  8. David Gretzmier

David Gretzmier LawnSite Gold Member

I would stay in contact with that person. at 95 per fixture, they are going to need your help with the problems with the competitors system. I'd check in on them at 3 months, 9 months, 15 months. at the prices your competition charges, they must be installing cheap stuff and probably incorrectly. don't wait for them to call you for help, they will likely be too prideful to do so. I think you will find yourself in the position of getting this job in 2 years or less. and at your price.
  9. Mark B

Mark B LawnSite Bronze Member

Yeah what Chris & Tommy said. Try to get the service. I have also found out in the past when doing irrigation. When me and a friend were bidding on the same job. My friend told me what he was bidding I went in $300.00 over him. I got the job, then customer said that my frined did not sound sound confident about doing the job. My friend would use words/phrases like I think I can, I might be able to XX phrases like that. Do you sound very confident with what you are selling? My .02
  10. TXNSLighting

from DFW, TX

and i try not to "sell" the best i can. i try to show them the magic of the lights, what you can do with lights. i try not to say: heres how much, heres some lights blah blah. i sell myself. i try to make them comfortable with me. maybe thats wrong i dont know.