Not Happy With Dixie Chopper

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by cadzilla500, Jan 29, 2007.

1. cadzilla500

cadzilla500 LawnSite Member

I just bought a rollbar kit for my 2004 Dixie Chopper X2001-50. I started installing it today, when I found the the left side upright was hitting the vertically mounted muffler on the Kohler engine. I worked on it for awhile and decided to call Dixie Chopper.
    I called the service department and spoke with "Pat". Pat listened to my question, but could not come up with an answer. He just said that if it was hitting the muffler then it wouldn't fit, and to just take it back. I asked him why it would fit, since it was ordered for my model and the model was listed in the book and on the decal on the rollbar itself. Pat said that they must have designed it after mine was built and didn't really know why it was listed for my mower when it would not fit. I told Pat that I wanted a rollbar for this mower, so I wouldn't have to trade it in towards a mower that had one. I asked Pat to find a definite answer, so he put he on hold and went to find someone that could answer my question.
    Pat soon came back to the phone, and told me that the kohler engine they used, when the rollbar was designed, had a horizontally mounted muffler. Pat said I would have to buy a new muffler or take the rollbar back. I asked him to help me find a muffler, and possibly help me out with the price. He simply replied that I would have to buy one myself. I thanked him for helping me make my decision on whether to buy a second Dixie Chopper.
    I then called my local dealer, where I bought the rollbar from, who stated that he would call Dixie Chopper and find me an answer. The dealer called back a few minutes later and told me that he had found me a muffler. He stated that the muffler that was used for this application was a Dixie Chopper design, and that he could order one. I asked him why the service person I spoke to couldn't have told me that, and said that he would have it in a couple of days and let me have it for cost. I thanked him, and the muffler will be here by the end of the week. After getting the muffler situation straight, I went back out the the shop and installed the muffler and new Turf Boss tires I had bought.
    Has anyone else had these types of problems? All I was looking for was an answer to a problem, not someone telling me to just return the part. Oh well, I'll have to remember that when I upgrade to a 60" mower next year.:usflag:

2. Jason Rose

Jason Rose LawnSite Fanatic

Gotta love the mower manufacturers that change things 6 times a year on the same model... Makes buying parts such a dream!

There are brands I steer away from for this reason, and Dixie is TOP on that list. For years their mowers were the same every year, now they change them at the drop of a hat, Have they ever fixed the cutting problems?
  3. greenscapes inc.

greenscapes inc. LawnSite Member
    from Utah

Just wondering why you need a roll bar? The first thing I do is take the rops off my mowers.
  4. cadzilla500

cadzilla500 LawnSite Member

I don't want a thousand pound mower landing on my head if something goes wrong. I'd rather be safe than sorry.

And as far as the cutting goes, mine cuts and stripes great.
  5. Runner

Runner LawnSite Fanatic

I hope you don't mow around any trees, because that WILL flip the mower over. Kind of ironic, I know.
  6. Lawn-Scapes

Lawn-Scapes LawnSite Silver Member

It seems as though your problem was solved... though it took a little persistance on your part. Here's hoping you never need your new rollbar!!
  7. Rons Rightway Lawncare

Rons Rightway Lawncare LawnSite Bronze Member

Waynesville is in the mountains of NC, some of the most beautiful area in the USA!!! ( I know because I grew up in nearby Franklin NC and drive through Waynesville at least once a year when I go to Franklin or Highlands to sightsee )

If I cut up there in the mountains I would want a roll bar too. I did take the one off my Scag as soon as I got home with it though
  8. tacoma200

tacoma200 LawnSite Fanatic

That roll bar looks like a death trap waiting to get hung on a limb. Seriously, that is a very bad design unless your just mowing open land. Just my opinion but who designed that mess.
  9. sawman65

sawman65 LawnSite Senior Member

sounds like you have a good dealer should have called him in the first place.thats what dealers are for.some of the guys that work at the plant are new and dont know the past models as good as they takes time to catch up with us long timers.
  10. Willofalltrades

Willofalltrades LawnSite Bronze Member

yea Ditto that opinion. Why not go on the triditional folding design?