Not Impressed With Rear Discharge

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Cut 2 Please, Jul 19, 2005.

1. Cut 2 Please

Cut 2 Please LawnSite Member

I demoed the Hustler Super Z with the 60" rear discharge deck today and was not impressed at all. A more accurate statement would be I was very disapointed. The mower had a 25 Hp Kaw. It would bog if you got it up over 4-5 mph. I thought it would be able to run through the grass I was cutting. My Exmark 27hp 60" would cut it the same height at about 8-9 mph. I did have double on my Exmark. My dealer also brought a Super Z 27 hp 52" side discharge the would cut it the same height maybe a little faster than my Exmark. The 52" Hustler just had the stock blades. I was very impressed with the 52" Super Z but extremely disapointed with the 60" rear discharge.

2. mowingmachine

mowingmachine LawnSite Senior Member

That seems odd. I would think that the rear discharge has a lot more capacity and should go much faster but not leave as nice a discharge.

mowingmachine

3. iluvscag

iluvscag LawnSite Senior Member

Exactly what I was thinking.

4. Grass-Eater

Grass-Eater LawnSite Member

is this rear discharge 60" fairly new ? i have not seen any in my area or at dealers!!

5. Cut 2 Please

Cut 2 Please LawnSite Member

Yeah, it is brand new. I was expecting it to go through the bahia like nobodies bussiness. I was wanting to some large properties where the discharge would not matter and there was alot of wide open cutting. I can not express how disapointed I was.

6. Steve9

Steve9 LawnSite Member
    from Texas

I just came in after reading the title!!! Sounds gross!!! :blush:

7. dmc456

dmc456 LawnSite Senior Member

I demoed a Super-Z with the 25HP and was not impressed at all. I loved the feel of the mower, but it was very, very underpowered.

The problem is putting only a 25HP on a mower that is geared to run 15 MPH. The pumps are too large for that small of an engine.

Try the Super-Z with the 28 EFI engine. The dealer that I went to would only special order since they said "no buys that engine, too expensive." Well of only $800 they are crazy on to get the much more powerful and fuel efficient 28 EFI.

Anyway, try the EFI engine.

8. petekief

petekief LawnSite Senior Member

man when i saw that rear discharge i thought - wow this is great - no more mulching - no more sraying clippings where they are not wanted - just fly with o worries - infact i thought OK hustler came up with an inovation every one will have to adopt and sell - new state of the art - but you say it doesn't work? - that why i like this website - usually there are conflicting views - has anyone else used one and liked it?

9. dmc456

dmc456 LawnSite Senior Member

I won't say it doesn't work, but it doesn't work with a 25HP engine. I would never have a Super-Z with only a 25. At a minimum a 26 EFI.