1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Not impressed with Shindaiwa trimmer

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by HazellLawnCare, Sep 26, 2004.

1. HazellLawnCare

HazellLawnCare LawnSite Senior Member

I have been running all Redmax trimmers and other handhelds for years, but when I recently switched to all Toro equipment I decided to buy a Shindaiwa trimmer from the same dealer I bought the Toro's from. I told him which Redmax trimmers I had been using and he called his rep and they suggested a T231 since I use them maintaining edges and simple trimming. Well I think that the trimmer is gutless, I don't use guards on my trimmers and I tend to use long strings and this trimmer just won't spin them like my Redmax trimmers will. I will be purchasing all new trimmers next spring and will probably go back to Redmax. Will I like the new stratocharged engines as much?
  2. GBCS

GBCS LawnSite Member
    from Texas

3. Stuttering Stan

Stuttering Stan LawnSite Bronze Member

The T-231 is more of a homeowner model, the T-260(270) is more commercial. I love my T-270's, never lacked power to do a job
  4. LwnmwrMan22

LwnmwrMan22 LawnSite Platinum Member

Were your Redmax's the same cc comparison?

I know I switched to a Shindaiwa trimmer this year from Echo, but I also dropped from 260's down to a T-230 Shin. I wish I woulda went with the 260 Shin, if anything.

I know I'll be going back to Echo though, can't stand the trimmer head on the Shin. Spose I could just replace that too though.
  5. HazellLawnCare

HazellLawnCare LawnSite Senior Member

I'm just not impressed with the Shindaiwa compared to my Redmax at all. I like the loop handle on my Redmax much more, it's just a more comfortable trimmer to use all day long.
  6. grass_cuttin_fool

grass_cuttin_fool LawnSite Gold Member

If the handle is the main thing you dont like then switch them, I had an old homelite that had a J handle on it and I put it on my stihl and it worked out fine
  7. LCME

LCME LawnSite Senior Member

When I was at the local dealer. I ask about Shin -vs- Redmax trimmers. He recommended the Redmax because they cost less. And, the Redmax has a Shin engine. You will pay more for the name if it's a Shin. I have not used either just sharing the info I got. I have a used crapsman but works good and it was free. Good luck, LCME
  8. cgotro

cgotro LawnSite Member

We use the BCZ3000s, love them plenty of power. Haven't had any problems. we use them 8hrs a day on some days. The guys on the crew would always pull the Redmax off first, over the Shins when we had both on the trailer. We only use Redmax now.
  9. Tider6972

Tider6972 LawnSite Senior Member
    from Alabama

Your dealer is badly mistaken- Shindaiwa and Redmax are different engines. The Shindaiwa EB630 blower does use the Redmax engine, only exception I know of. All trimmers, pole saws hedge clipers, edgers, use Shin

Redmax builds and uses their own engines on all products.
  10. brinlee lawn

brinlee lawn LawnSite Senior Member

I love my t 261 trimmer and t 261 edger