1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Not impressed ....

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by Sweet Tater, Oct 13, 2007.

1. Sweet Tater

Sweet Tater LawnSite Silver Member

I always hear everyone talking about using gator blades for mulching. I have run them all year (not the same set) and I am truely not impressed with them. I closed the discharge chute and it just makes no difference. Shapen them about every 6 lawns at approx 30 degrees as I've seen mentioned on LS. Am I doing something wrong or is there something better.
  2. M&SLawnCare

M&SLawnCare LawnSite Senior Member

I haven't personally used them, but from everyone i've talked too regular curved blade multchers from your manufacturer works much better at pure mulching. Gators are used for side discharging when you want to reduce the clipping size.
  3. Sweet Tater

Sweet Tater LawnSite Silver Member

Started with it that way. didnt think it was working right so I closed the chute.
  4. packey

packey LawnSite Senior Member

Gators on exmarks work well if you are side dischargeing better than regular blades. I guess the porblem is if you are in really thick grass nothing will make the grass diapear. Your best bet at that point is to bag.
  5. Roger

Roger LawnSite Fanatic

If you were able to close the discharge chute and "saw no difference," you must have a very, very light clipping burden. I only use Gator blades in the Fall to mulch leaves, and when the turf growth is very light. But, even with a little growth, when cutting in turf areas, a line of clippings is left on the right side of the machine, enough that I will never leave the lawn in that condition. I only close off the chute for a first pass, intending to make another cross pass to spead leaf mulch and turf clippings evenly.

I do not use Gators for regular mowing, with the chute open. I want to have evenly dispersed clippings, rather than shorter ones that are not evenly spread. Using hi-lift blades works best for an even dispersal of clippings.