1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Not in the biz yet, but have questions

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by eruuska, Sep 29, 2004.

1. eruuska

eruuska LawnSite Senior Member

Hello everyone,

I'm not in the business yet, but I'm seriously considering starting up in the spring for some additional income, and potentially a full-time gig.

I don't have a lot of cash to lay out for new equipment. Right now I have an MTD 18hp 46" lawn tractor and a 21" mower. I've got a POS gas trimmer but I don't plan on using that one. I'm going to pick up a Husqvarna trimmer and probably a backpack blower.

Couple of questions. I have to confess I haven't paid much attention to the local LCO's, so maybe this is a no-brainer, but when you're doing a small residential lot, do you go in with a big mower, like a tractor or a ZTR? What if you can't fit a big mower into the back yard? Do you just take the 21" and do the best you can?

Forgive my ignorance. I do plan to keep reading this site, and I figure I'll be a lawn genius by springtime. :D

Thanks in advance, I'm sure you'll hear from me again.

2. Randy J

Randy J LawnSite Bronze Member

Eric, smart plan to research before you jump in. In answer to your question, a lot of people starting out buy a smaller commercial walk behind, 36" or so. That'll cover much more ground than a 21", and yet will still fit in most backyard gates. I'm not sure on pricing, but you could probably buy a used one for $1500 or so.
  3. stizostedion_vitreum

stizostedion_vitreum LawnSite Member
    from ND

I'm by no means the expert, but you didn't mention what you have for a trailer or tow vehicle?

How many accounts your planning to manage/service? I would suggest you perform a complete business plan with reasonable figures, this will answer the majority of the questions for yourself and will also provide a game plan to follow once started.

Good luck in your new adventure,
  4. eruuska

eruuska LawnSite Senior Member

I've got a 8x5 trailer that will do for the time being, I'll pull it with my trusty minivan.

I'd like to start with at least 10 clients. I plan to send out a mailing in February or March (in NW Indiana we don't start mowing until at least April), and hope I'll pick up a few that way.

The plan (in my head at least) is to pick up some commercial equipment after a couple months of mowing, probably a used ZTR and maybe a bigger trailer and/or pickup truck.

If next year is successful, I'd like to get a license the following year to spray pesticides and fertilizers to round out the package. Maybe also pick up a DR lawn vac for fall cleanups.

I know, it's a lot to plan for, but I will not bite off more than I can chew. Even if my mailing falls on its face, the most I'm going to be out is a couple hundred bucks.

Any other comments?

HOOLIE LawnSite Gold Member

You'll get all kinds of different opinions on types of equipment to use. What you have now will work to get started. I just use a 36" walk-behind on everything, fits thru all my gates. But I don't really have any large properties. If I did, I would definitely buy a larger mower and relegate the 36" for backyard duty.

Definitely buy good commercial trimmer/edger/blower. They will save you a lot of time versus the Harry Homeowner crap.