Not knowing if there dead or alive?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Green Quality, Sep 8, 2004.

1. Green Quality

Green Quality LawnSite Member

This is a fear, or somthing I would like to address,I have alot older customers. who like to pay after mowing.I have not seen or heard from this older lady in two cuts.I have called left mesages .I have no contact no#for her family that is out of state.To see if she is out of town.I would hate to keep mowing ,if she lying dead in her house.and not being able to help.so I'm thinking of setting something up next year,like a safe guard,with family members. any thing like this cross your thoughts or happend :pumpkin:

crawdad likes this.
  2. 65hoss

65hoss LawnSite Fanatic

I would assume most of us in business for a while have some customers we just have become like family to. It wouldn't hurt to ask for a contact number just in case. Explain why you would like it. Most older people can get to believing nobody cares. This could show them that you care.

crawdad likes this.
  3. PR Fect

PR Fect LawnSite Bronze Member

Had the same thing. I put a small mark on one of the tires of her car, just to see if the car moved.

4. proenterprises

proenterprises LawnSite Silver Member

sounds like a good idea, however, its probably not a good idea to call her family in a panic or fearing the worst if you dont hear from her in a week, otherwise, its sounds good that you care and others should appreciate it as well.

5. Gravely_Man

Gravely_Man LawnSite Silver Member

This would be a very good thing for you to do. I shows you care about the customer and want to get paid. That may sound harse but it is not meant to. I think contact info for older customers is a great idea.

Gravely_Man

6. bobbygedd

bobbygedd LawnSite Fanatic
    from NJ

the odor of a dead and rotting body would be overwhelming. old people usually don't like air conditioning, and they leave windows open. i think you'd know if she croaked. check the mail box, is anyone taking in the mail, or is there a stack of it left there?

7. Runner

Runner LawnSite Fanatic

Leave a note on the door. Ask for someone to contact you. Are there papers in the box? Even though it is completely illegal, take a quick peek into the mailbox. I'm sure that if an issue was ever made, it would be fully understandable that you were just checking - especially for her benefit and welfare. If anyone STILL has any questions, show them this thread...

8. fga

fga LawnSite Silver Member

you're right on the a/c, but i've never heard of one old person cracking a window open. 85 degrees, don't want all that cold air coming in! i visit my great aunt sauna... i meen sophie. i leave pounds lighter then when i showed up. and don't you dare touch the water faucet...

9. brentsawyer

brentsawyer LawnSite Senior Member

I have heard of stories in Florida where customers have died and have had all bills automated and the LCO was also on the same system and had gone on for months. Somehow the odor didn't make it outside, I guess they liked the house real cold.