Not looking forward to the liming!!!

Discussion in 'Pesticide & Herbicide Application' started by GrazerZ, Aug 29, 2006.

1. GrazerZ

GrazerZ LawnSite Senior Member

Have 10 pallets to do at one job thats 13 acres. Its going to take me 2 days even with the Z I'm estimating. Have about 3-4 othe palletsto do also. Not my fovorite stuff to deal with.:cry: Anyone else feel my pain???
  2. hmartin

hmartin LawnSite Senior Member

Call a lime spreader truck for 13 acres.
  3. Pilgrims' Pride

Pilgrims' Pride LawnSite Senior Member
    from MA.

Remember the days of old when we were young and ride-ons weren't invented?

We'd do it ALL with a lesco spreader!

4. grass_cuttin_fool

grass_cuttin_fool LawnSite Gold Member

Im with you on this one, I would use a lime truck also

5. muddstopper

muddstopper LawnSite Silver Member

Go buy yourself one of those Seed Easy drop spreaders and tow it behind the Z. The 6 ft model will hold about 350lbs of lime and its not near as dusty as the broadcaster's. You can also use pulverized lime in the drop spreader which will cut your lime cost in about half. 13 acres of limeing should more than pay for the spreader, probably in the money you save from just buying pulverized lime instead of pelletized.
  6. GrazerZ

GrazerZ LawnSite Senior Member

Would love to do that but can't. Its a cemetary and I think they would have issue with the damage to the monuments it may cause:) .
    Did I also mention that we blow the lime off these monuments as well. What a pain. Good contract to have though when bid right.
    Started it to day, will finish tomarrow.
  7. heritage

heritage LawnSite Bronze Member

Hi Dr. Green,

Solu-kal is about 4X the price of a pellitized lime product, and yes it is 4x as soluable and 4x less labor intensive......Organic Acids in that product make it more soluable/Ca available sooner.

Here is the problem though with sol u kal.......Recommendations of a soil test show that your lawn/soil requires xxx Lbs of Calcitic Lime, then rainfall, irrigation, slowly reduce those levels over time...... because Hi-Ca Lime is 4X less soluable than sol u kal, I won't have to reapply in 3-4 years.

I apply sol u kal's 4 X more soluable, so I may have to reapply annually, to keep Soil base sat. % within range, because it moves through the soil's profile 4X Faster.

What I am getting at is that product is too expensive.......My Farm Ag Guy bought Many pallets of the stuff this spring, and it won't sell for the above mentioned reasons. Calcium Sulfate (Gypsum) is just as Soluable as Sol u kal and 1/3 rd the price. The Emperors New Clothes won't sell here, until they lower the price.

Pete D
  8. Dr Green

Dr Green LawnSite Member

I understand most of what you are trying to say. Dont most lawncare guys sell a lime app yearly to there customers? At least a maintenance lime in the fall? If you are going to lime your customers or your own lawn every year, wouldnt you want a product that works so fast that you see the impact when you apply it? And at 4 x less bags? In MA/CT area it seems to be going for about 14.00 a bag to do 10,000 sq ft at the maintenance rate.

If Im applying a product to a lawn that a customer is paying for, I dam well want that customer to see the results when i apply it. Not next April when she hires someone else because the customer thinks the lawn didnt look as good as it should have. Then "joe other lawncare guy" shows up in spring, puts anything down , and gets the response and part of that was from your app of Lime last october instead of Solucal.

One other aspect of Immediately available calcium with the organic acid as the chelating agent is the strengthening of Cell walls and thus making the lawns less prone to summer time diseases if applied in spring instead of spring lime.

Less disease pressure = better looking lawns in summer= happier customers.

Id rather have happier customers...
  9. heritage

heritage LawnSite Bronze Member

Dr. Green,

I hope most guys apply Lime only when needed based on annual soil tests. Too much is just as bad as not enough.

If I have a new lawn, and that soil test shows Ca in short supply, but Base Saturation above 60%, I will use Gypsum. And Yes I will see and impact quickly, if the turf is not dormant and there is water to put the Ca in solution.

Yes, I know Ca, strenghtens Cell walls, especially when there is Boron @ 1 Lb. per acre in the soil, to open the gate for Ca Uptake.

Chelating the Sol u kal with organic acid is keeping the Ca from getting Locked up, or "Slowly Available" to the plant.....It's now quickly available to the plant. I prefer Gypsum which is Calcium Sulfate. It is soluable Calcium and Sulfur in An Available Form...Sulfate. Ca is a Cation (posative charge) and Sulfate is an Anion (negative charge) .....together as gypsum, they move through the negatavly charged soils, without getting locked up too. (you don't need the organic acid)

So tell me How much Actual Ca is in a bag of Gypsum @$6-7 a bag Vs. how much Actual calcium is in a bag of the Sol-u-kal @ 14.00 a bag (here it's 17.00 a bag pallet price) I already know the anwser, and i will stick a proven performer....Gypsum For Soluable Ca.

Pete D.
  10. Grandview

Grandview LawnSite Gold Member
    from WI

If I remeber my soil chemistry, gypsum will add calcium to the soil but will not effect the pH. It is the carbonate in lime that raises pH, not the calcium. I believe gypsum is a neutral salt.