Not mowing and not telling client...

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by mkwl, Aug 21, 2006.

1. mkwl

mkwl LawnSite Bronze Member

Well, I can't beleive I'm saying this but...we actually need rain here in NJ...my lawns without irrigation are burning up. Now, these lawns without irrigation don't really need mowing every week, the clients pay per cut, so would you skip a week due to the dry conditions...or deal with the dust and cut 'em every week anyway? What are you guys doing who have weekly lawns that are drying out?

2. TheLawnBarber

TheLawnBarber LawnSite Senior Member

I usually drive my regular rout and when I show up at a property I take a look around and then decide if it needs a mowing or not.

3. bigjeeping

bigjeeping LawnSite Senior Member

All weekly routes get ran. If the lawn is so dry/dead it absolutely cannot be mowed then we don't mow and don't invoice. If the house is frequently skipped (usally non-irrigated lawns, late season) I'll switch it to bi-weekly so that we don't waste a trip by the house twice a month! Since we are automatically adjusting to their lawns needs, none of the above involves any communication with the customer.

4. MudslinginFX4

MudslinginFX4 LawnSite Bronze Member

If we make a trip, we mow. Can't afford to drive to a house and skip it. I only allow 2 cancels per season.

5. parkeeee

parkeeee LawnSite Member

There has been steady enough growth on all of the properties that I service for weekly mowing's, but the trimming has almost come to a halt (not that I'm complaining).

6. dlm17

dlm17 LawnSite Member

if you dont mow how do you make a living, do you do any trimming or weeding? ive found that the weeds seem to grow no matter what so if im there i mow

7. jpp

jpp LawnSite Silver Member

I have had most of my clients for a long time. They know that when we get into a dry situation that I will either go to a 10 day or every 2 week schedule.

We are at a 10 day schedule right now. No need to call them unless they are newer customers to let them know what is going on. Also, on my answering machine I leave the schedule for the upcoming week mowing wise. Answers any questions they call with. :waving:

8. K c m

K c m LawnSite Senior Member

Same most of my lawns don't need to be cut, and my customers know that. Im no crook im an honest guy. however im not supporting kids and/or family. i have a full time job now so im not concerned with the cash from mowing. Just a perk i guess.

9. Evergreenpros

Evergreenpros LawnSite Bronze Member

I cut, don't care if there is anything there or not. I don't charge more when there's 5 inches to cut in the spring every week. I only do weekly though, not worth the bottleneck in the busy season to take bi-weekly's.

10. J&R Landscaping

J&R Landscaping LawnSite Fanatic

In PA, it has been extrmely dry so far in august as well! I have been going to my clients houses and then decidig from there if they need to be cut or not. Right now its working out a bit since they are not growing as my truck has been down since last tuesday with tranny/clutch problems.