1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Not mowing in rain but....

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Lasko's Lawn Service, Jul 16, 2008.

1. Lasko's Lawn Service

Lasko's Lawn Service LawnSite Member

A week ago I mowed through a literal downpour for about 2-3 hours...needless to say the grass was saturated for the entire day...but by God I stayed on my schedule...to adjust for clumps, I mowed the properties really, really high...now I know that most guys on here will mow through light rain and most will wait out downpours. My question is what are your experiences and preferred methods for dealing with wet conditions? The next week obviously, the grass was very high and I had to use precious time to double cut some areas. Is there a faster way to deal with rainy conditions...should I mow at the regular height and then blow the clumps out with the blower and burn 20 minutes more per property (I mow mostly 1 acre plus places)? Wadda ya do to say those minutes?
  2. quickmow

quickmow LawnSite Member

We mow most lawns Mon Tues Wed and plan for rain one or all of those days to move them later in the week if need be. I avoid rain at all cost.
  3. LAExmark1

LAExmark1 LawnSite Member

hmm, yea depending on what day its raining, we might try to just get done anything we know is normally "shorter". Then stack the next day with stuff from the previous day and work late to finish the current day. I wouldnt cut it REALLY high, usually all that does is get customers to cry about it. Better off just leaving something that will be very problematic to the next dry day, hopefully tomorrow, or cutting maybe 1/4"-1/2" tops higher and just blowin off some lines. I wish customers could understand a somewhat bad cut (due to rain etc) only lasts a week, but unfortunatley most dont.
  4. Chilehead

Chilehead LawnSite Bronze Member
    Male, from Stockbridge, GA

My answer to wet conditions is called "clipping collection". If it's only sprinkling a little, I usually leave the clippings mulched.
  5. MOW ED

MOW ED LawnSite Fanatic

I would rather not mow in the rain but I have in the past. Most customers are understanding or don't care but I have a few that don't want me out when its soaked and I agree. I only mowed in very wet pouring conditions once and never again. I have found that grass can grow quite high and still be mowed so if I have to pass for a while its ok. I retain my customers that way, otherwise they are thinking that I am only out there to make money. I am not a large scale mowing company and I know you guys with full schedules have to mow in all conditions. I am not calling you wrong, I know that you can cut grass in the rain and make it look great. I just have positioned my business to not have to cut in the rain most of the time.
    The best way to get the customer to understand why we mow in the rain is to talk to them and also know how to mow wet grass. If you dig up the lawn or make ruts you will definately be looking for some fill in customers.
  6. lawnboy858

lawnboy858 LawnSite Senior Member

I never mow in a downpour. Reason being you will shoot clumps everywhere,and rut the $%^# out of your customers lawn. A light sprinkle, okay, but a downpour is out of the question for me.