not new to landscaping but

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by DiSantolandscaping, Oct 10, 2011.

1. DiSantolandscaping

DiSantolandscaping LawnSite Senior Member
    from Maine

ok so i have been mowing lawns for 5 years now. I am wanting to go full time in the spring. I have service aggreements, i got a new fs 90r trimmer, i got a troy built 21 in self propelled. Im looking spring time on buying a trailer from like lowes or something for 1500. im going to check my local trailer stores first, but my concern is i dont have good enough credit to buy a zero turn. and if i spend 1500 on a trailer i dont knwo if ill have enough to buy a nice mower outright. ill have about 2000 to 2500 to spend. should i look for a walk behind and put it in my truck or should i get the trailer and keep looking for mower.

2. flyingdutch16

flyingdutch16 LawnSite Senior Member

I'd say get a walk behind. If you've been getting around for 5 years with a 21 inch a walkbehind will be perfect for you. You save money that way and you wont have to worry about paying it off. (i recommend used btw)

3. DiSantolandscaping

from Maine

so i dont probably have enough to get an exmark or deere. so what would you recomend i can get a cub cadet which i havnt heard anything good about for like 1599 its 33 in or i know sears sells something for around 1499. what would be something good to look for.

4. DiSantolandscaping

from Maine

so i see that you have a snowblower. do you make any money with that and is it profitable? I got a brand new one ive used twice because i blew mine up at end of season last year. the last two storms we had like 24 inch of snow ea and it handled that no problem.

5. flyingdutch16

flyingdutch16 LawnSite Senior Member

as for the mower im not sure, i my self am looking into purchasing a walkbehind as well. Lots of hills around here that the Ztr just cant handle. As for the snowblower i am starting up that part of the business right now. Trying to find out if my customers are interested in snow service.

6. DiSantolandscaping

from Maine

yea i dont know where to look because the ones that like to have theres snowblowed usually have their own around here. and if there to big it will take to long. so its a tuff call.

7. MowingMowingMowing

MowingMowingMowing LawnSite Senior Member
    from Midwest

If you've been in business for 5 years you would know that that mower is a pos...

8. mnglocker

mnglocker LawnSite Senior Member

+1

Get a used hydro walk behind, get a tailer that fits it & get insurance.

9. TheMadLandscaper

TheMadLandscaper LawnSite Member

Excellent Advice!!

10. DiSantolandscaping

from Maine

I have insurance 1 million coverage. Just looking for decent mower so i can go full time
    Posted via Mobile Device