not only is the rain falling but so are the tree limbs?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by wobblez, May 22, 2003.

1. wobblez

wobblez LawnSite Member
    from Alabama

here it is since all this rain we have been getting not only do i have to take a boat to the customers place but when i get there. I find a ton of tree limbs all over there yards some a small twigs and some are the size of my arm and about 10 feet long.
    Now what i am asking is would you be charging for the extra clean-up or not?
    i have been spending anywhere from 15 to 30 mins picking up limbs.

maybe in a few days i can dry dock the boat and use the raft. LOL
  2. ElephantNest

ElephantNest LawnSite Bronze Member
    from La.

It's kind of assumed that cutting means removal of debris before hand, unless it's a mess when you first bid the job of course, then an initial clean up fee would apply. But where does one draw the line of debris removal? A few limbs? A mess of limbs, a downed tree? Good question. We have hurricanes quite often here, so it's a topic I'm looking forward to reading the replies on. Sometimes we go to a yard and it looks a hurricane went through it. lol Go figure. Then what? Not their fault, certainly not mine, is it my responsibility to take it on the chin, or do I charge? Hmmm.......
  3. BSDeality

BSDeality LawnSite Silver Member

charge for it, is it the guy who runs the tire shops fault who should 'take it on the chin' since you hit a nail and need a new tire?
  4. tiedeman

tiedeman LawnSite Fanatic
    from earth

I would run it by your customers at first. I look at it this way, pick up the limbs and bill and then they get mad and drop you or tell them that because of the recent rain and storms there are more than usual limbs in the yard so a small charge will have to be added to their bill. They would respect you for telling them up front, instead of sneaking behind them and billing them.
  5. Barkleymut

Barkleymut LawnSite Bronze Member

Do you just charge the mowing fee when all the leaves come down in the fall? It isn't the customers fault the leaves fell.

Anything over 3 minutes - CHARGE EM!!!!