Not really hydro is it?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by lawncare3, Feb 12, 2003.

1. lawncare3

lawncare3 LawnSite Bronze Member

2. Leave that thing where it's at.

Hard on your hands, forearms, and upper body, plus expensive repairs.
  3. kutnkru

kutnkru LawnSite Silver Member

Looks like the old style decks (which I still think theres no diff in the newer style) where they simply attached a belly mower to a traction unit and threw on a couple of front casters to compete in the comm equip mkt -LOL!!

Any JD dealer who is not a thievin crook will tell you that those decks are terrible for cutting purposes unless the grass is dry and not too tall -

HELLO!! Ive never seen dry grass in the spring that wasnt too tall LMAO!!
  4. paponte

paponte LawnSite Silver Member

Can't really tell if it is hydro cause you can't get a good look at the wheels, not do i see any hydro tank. The deck has nothing to do if whether or not it's hydro. Either way, I wouldn't touch that machine with a 10' pole! :nono:
  5. PaulJ

PaulJ LawnSite Bronze Member

my neighbor bought something that looked like that at a garage sale last fall. He was out mowing some weeds with it and I had to go over and take a look.

His had a hydro trans axle. The speed lever had forward and reverse on it. So I think it operated more like a gear drive. you had the infinite speed selection of hydro but not the instant revers we associate with hydro commercial Walkbehinds. They probably do have a better reverse than most gear drives though. I believe steering was by braking and a differential but I don't know for sure.

Maybe this is like the Ferris SD hydro's?

JUst a guess.
  6. Just wait BHB will give you all the ins and outs of that machine and he still hasn't run his to cut 1 lawn yet.
  7. Scag48

Scag48 LawnSite Fanatic

Those controls resemble that of a snowblower. What was deere thinking when they came out with that crap? Looks like it would hurt alot to run it for a long time. Buy an Exmark with ECS.
  8. bob

bob LawnSite Platinum Member
    from DE

I emailed this guy a few days ago. I use to have a JD like this , and expained to him the difference between belt, gear, and hydro drives. It definately a 5 speed gear drive. I pasted his responce below:

Ive always been told that it was hydro driven. Thats the reason that I bought it. Im no mechanic or anything, but I have always thought that it was, but what you are saying does make sense. Wouldnt there be a belt system on the side to turn the mower if it was gear driven like you said. Please comment, I dont want to sell anything on ebay that would mislead anyone.
  9. FrankenScagMachines

FrankenScagMachines LawnSite Platinum Member
    from IN

Yes it's 5 speed with internal clutches. Not very easy on hands that is for sure. Great on hills compared to belt drives though. He did post on there later that he was informed it was a gear drive. It does have a positive reverse and is NOT a hydrostatic drive. It was probably worth the $450 or whatever the starting cost was with the velke, bagger and mulch kit if the tranny was good. But not the $1k+ it is now. First pic shows another one in the barn in the background.
    LGF, mine does run, but thanks for sharing your far superior knowledge. Bow to the great one! :rolleyes:
  10. Did I say it didn't? Ummm lemme thing about that for a sec. No.

Also how do you know what that mowers is worth? How can you say it's worth only $450.

It may be worth $1500. You don't know or were you just speculating?

I wonder what the fair market value of that machine is.. I got a search going on...I seen the web site posted here once.