1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Not Really new to the business, I just want to go legit

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself' started by cutting it close, Jan 28, 2010.

1. cutting it close

cutting it close LawnSite Member

Hey name is Eric, I started this love for landscaping when I was about 11. Started with my parents equipment and i pulled it around with my bike and radio flyer; no joke! I am graduating college with a business management degree and while i am trying to get my feet going I will be keeping my full time job. I need help/mentor; i think. So far I registered as a DBA-Doing Business As. I want to incorperate but my fathers CPA and a lawyer i had as a professor cost too much, one $950 the other $700. I am nervous about these online companies and not really sure what to do, I do know I want to incorperate in Delware because they are more forgiving and dont require as much as NY. This is probably the only part of the business im stuck on. I know in order to do more then weekly maintance in NY Long Island you need to register with consumer affiars, but by the time i am done paying them I could have bought 5-6 new wackers. So for the first year I am sticking to weekly maintance. Please any help with incorperating, insurance and anything else I havent thought of. Post info here or email or call.... cuttingitclose@gmail.com or 631-872-1286 Thanks in advance Eric
  2. BearWise Landscapers

BearWise Landscapers LawnSite Senior Member

Welcome to the website, Eric.

My advice about incorporating your business is to go ahead and do it if you plan on running it for a while. I don't know about NY or Deleware, but in most states, an LLC is pretty easy to set up.

As far as insurance, I recommend these three insurance coverages for landscapers without employees.

Let me know if you have more questions about the limits or coverages for the insurance policies.

Good luck!