not receiving payment in full

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by clc2003, Jun 18, 2005.

1. clc2003

clc2003 LawnSite Senior Member
    from Ia

I recently did some yardwork for a guy and now he hasn't paid the full amount. He called me asking for an estimate to "fill in ruts" from a skidloader that was used to take a tree down. I told him I would need to use a skidloader and he disagreed. I told him that I could fill and level to the best of my ability with shovel and rake. He agreed and the price was $200. So then i show up to do job and he has a full load of dirt sitting in the middle of the yard which was a major pain in the rear. Anyhow, I fill like I said I would and he isn't satisfied. I tell him that is why I wanted to use skidloader. Then he says cant u use a tractor or something. I said I can use a skidloader but it wasn't figured in with price. He then tells me he wanted the whole load of dirt spread across the yard. So I get a loader and spread all of the dirt and seed the yard. I charged him my rental fee for the loader and he says " Our agreement was $400 and nothing changed in the scope of the project. In my opinion it did change and I didn't quote price including extra machinery. What would you guys do? I think he is trying to intimidate me because he is an attorney. Please help :help:
  2. SodKing

SodKing LawnSite Bronze Member

The scope of work certainly did change, "fill in ruts" from a skidloader, was changed to " He then tells me he wanted the whole load of dirt spread across the yard".

Lawyers are professional liars. First, inform him that he certainly did change the scope of work and was charged accordingly. Second tell the tightwad to pry open his wallet and pay you accordingly. Third at the 30 day mark place a lein on his house For the amount past due.
  3. Runner

Runner LawnSite Fanatic

Did you ever discuss a price with him after he agreed to you using a machine? First it was 200, then you mentioned that HE said that it was 400. Where did the 400 come from? Is this what you discussed?
  4. clc2003

clc2003 LawnSite Senior Member
    from Ia

Sorry I didn't mean to be confusing. I also did some hedge and tree trimming.
    I told him 400 for everything, so I basically divided it into two. Two hundred for the yard and two hundred for the trimming. The thing that pisses me off the most is that I didn't charge him anymore labor at all. I mean I did it twice and all I am asking for is equipment rental. :angry: :realmad:
  5. topsites

topsites LawnSite Fanatic

Well well well, the good 'ole "I'm not paying because I'm not satisfied."

I have a problem with this one as well... Thread of mine:

Has happened to me once before and I got a real feeling it's about to happen to me again. $575 in my case, similar scenario thou different work.
  6. JFGLN

JFGLN LawnSite Senior Member

With new customers or ones that can be "difficult", you have to get this kind of work in writing. I do a simple job proposal that list what work is to be done at what cost. You then schedule the work when you receive the proposal back with their signature and a deposit.