Not safe to mow anywhere near a road!

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Jason Rose, Jan 10, 2008.

1. Jason Rose

Jason Rose LawnSite Fanatic

This is a story from July 2006. Not sure if it ever made it here or not... Click the link for the pictures: http://police.nashville.org/news/media/2006/07/27a.htm

Here's the text of the report:
    FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE
    July 27, 2006
    Traffic investigators today charged an Antioch woman with vehicular assault after the car she was driving left Bell Road, traveled down an embankment and struck a man who was mowing the grass at Brentridge Apartments.

The victim, Leonardo Torres, 37, of Patricia Drive, was very critically injured and is hospitalized at Vanderbilt University Medical Center. He worked for Envio-Scapes Landscaping.

Peggy Spann, 53, of Pin Oak Drive, was driving her 2001 Chevrolet Cavalier west on Bell Road at 8 a.m. when the car jumped a sidewalk while negotiating a slight curve, traveled 220 feet down an embankment and struck Torres, who was riding a commercial-grade mower. Spann, who acknowledged taking a variety of medication, including painkillers and sedatives, said she did not remember her car leaving the roadway. Spann was uninjured in the crash, but was taken to a hospital where a blood sample was drawn for chemical analysis. She is being held in lieu of $25,000 bond.

2. PaulMoody

PaulMoody LawnSite Member

What a deal. I admit the thought of such a thing crosses my mind when working along busy roadways. When I am trimming, edging and blowing along a road frontage walk way I keep one eye on traffic just in case I need to make a quick leap out of the way.
    Paul

3. mattfromNY

mattfromNY LawnSite Bronze Member

Damn her! He had some nice stripes going, and she had to go and screw them up!!

4. Grits

Grits LawnSite Silver Member
    from Florida

If anyone is looking for a commercial WB for really cheap, I know where you can get one!

5. DuallyVette

DuallyVette LawnSite Gold Member

Ouch !!!!!

6. puppypaws

puppypaws LawnSite Fanatic

She looks like every drunk; I've ever seen a mug shot of!!!:dizzy:

7. stick9

stick9 LawnSite Senior Member

It's a shame. I hope the man recovers.

8. JTF40

JTF40 LawnSite Senior Member

He did not survive the impact - He died in route to Vanderbilt Med. Center. :usflag:

9. lifetree

lifetree LawnSite Fanatic

It will always make you think twice about the possibility of something like that happening to yourself !!

10. puppypaws

puppypaws LawnSite Fanatic

You have to think about the odds of something like that happening. I am sorry to say; for what reason I have no idea, but it was his time to go.

When death hunts you down there "is" no hiding!