Not starting the first time...

Discussion in 'eXmark' started by dklawncare, Apr 30, 2003.

1. dklawncare

dklawncare LawnSite Member

I have a 52" Lazer Z HP that i bought brand new last July... Recently, It has not been starting when i turn the ignition. No sound is coming out, it just clicks. Sometimes if its warm it will start on the first time, but most of the time i have to keep turning the key before it finally starts. The machine itself runs like a kitten, but is this normal or might there be a problem with the starter? It only has 130 hrs. on it, and its kept in an enclosed trailer, so there is not a whole lot of wear and tear on the machine. Any help would be appreciated...

2. eXmark

eXmark Manufacturer / Sponsor

Dklawncare,

Is it making one click or several when you turn the key?

Thanks

Terry

3. Green Pastures

Green Pastures LawnSite Silver Member

Did you have it on a float charger all winter?

Sounds like you need to charge the battery to me.

4. dklawncare

dklawncare LawnSite Member

It only makes one click...it has been doin it for like 5 straight days until today, where it didn't do it once...I am keepin my fingers crossed....

5. MikeLT1Z28

MikeLT1Z28 LawnSite Bronze Member

sounds like a dead cell or loose/corroded connection. check voltages with the key on all the way to the starter, then have someone turn the key to the start position while checking. it shouldn't drop below about 10.0 volts or so.

6. eXmark

eXmark Manufacturer / Sponsor

Dklawncare,

I'd follow Mike’s advice and check the voltage at the battery and clean all connections between the battery, solenoid and starter.

If you don't cure the problem by doing those things I'd get it into the dealer.

Thanks

Terry