1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Not sure if good idea

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Mike (MLC), May 17, 2001.

1. Mike (MLC)

Mike (MLC) LawnSite Member

Today I had a local lawn service call me. The owner of the business is looking to sell out do to health issues. He wants to sell everything, equipment and customers. I am not interested in the equipment because I have plenty. He has a small clientele around 30 lawns. He told me that he brings in about $25,000-$30,000/yr on these yards. He thought that selling the clientele part for $10,000 was a good price, but I'm not sure. The catch is that he doesn't have any contracts with these people. So you could pay $10,000 for everyone to say they don't want you to cut their yard. I think that I can throw a few other options to the guy, but I am not sure how to go about this. I would love to pick up some of his clients, because they are in very high profile neighborhoods. Any advice??
  2. Why not buy it as long as you do a contract for purchase that states any and I mean any loss of client, a certain percentage is returned to you and do it over a 3 month payment plan. ALSO, GET A NON COMPETE CLAUSE FOR 3 TO 5 YEARS AS A CONDITION OF SALE.

I had a friend who bought 40 clients from a person since he was going back to his homeland. He came back after 2 years, called back all 40 clients, said he was back and took away more than 30 from my friend.

Good Luck!

3. Atlantic Lawn

Atlantic Lawn LawnSite Senior Member
    Male, from Outer Banks NC

Gotta have one of those, and it must be written by an attorney or paralegal to get the correct wording.