Not sure if I am going to mess with it...

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by All_Toro_4ME, Jul 23, 2007.

1. All_Toro_4ME

All_Toro_4ME LawnSite Bronze Member

I had a lady call me to mow for her. She said it has been more then a month since it has been mowed because of all of the rain we have been having lately. I know that if I do decide to cut it, I will charge much much higher then normal to make it worth my time. Just wondering if any of you guys had this or a similar situation before and if you did decide to cut it, what did you charge. She said its about an average sized yard along with an empty lot next to it. Suggestions?:confused:

2. KS_Grasscutter

KS_Grasscutter LawnSite Gold Member

I do this kind of stuff from time to time. I charge anywhere from $15 extra to 3x the what the regular rate would be.

3. All_Toro_4ME

Thanks KS Grasscutter.

4. Mr Priceless

Mr Priceless LawnSite Senior Member

Only if you have the equipment to do the job without pushing anything. Other than that, make it worth your time and then some.

5. Turf Professionals Inc.

Turf Professionals Inc. LawnSite Member

I should would not give her an answer or price til' you see it, but I just did a job like that. I charge extra because I do not do the whole "on call" lawn care seen. It was last minute and I knew that there were going to be obticles in the yard I could not see do to the grass. I normally would have charged 60 for the yard if it were somewhat maintained, but I charged 90 this time around. Good thing too cuz I hit a big a$$ root. Could not see it! That is going to cost me some time to resharpen the blades

6. Mr Priceless

Mr Priceless LawnSite Senior Member

Also, get prepaid before you EVER engage the blades.

7. All_Toro_4ME

Great advide. Thanks guys...

8. Stillwater

Stillwater LawnSite Platinum Member

Charge what you want to charge her. This should not be a issue for you to worry about. With longevity in this business comes the confidence with your charges and your billing. You should charge her what you need to charge her to meet your business goals and no less.

9. coonman

coonman LawnSite Senior Member

If its waist high. I would charge triple what you would normally bid that lawn for. You will probably be there atleast three times longer than a regular mow.
    I just had one like that. Guy owned a rent house that had not been cut in a month. I had to knock it all down first with the trimmer and then clean up with mower. I would price the lawn at $30 normally, he gladly paid me $90. It was just a one time deal.

10. topsites

topsites LawnSite Fanatic

Last year my truck broke down during work, I had it towed and within 4 hours it was fixed, from the time it crapped out to the moment I was riding again 4 hours, that to me is super fast.
    Total cost: $250
    The culprit: Bad fuel pump, a $20 part
    But you see how that works, and from this I learned what comes next.

So here's my racket:

One method:
    +$5 for 1-time deal, because some don't pay.
    +$5 because it's mid-season.
    +$5 since it's an emergency.
    +$5 if it has to be done NOW.
    Double cut is standard, then +$5 x 1/4 acre x additional goings over.
    So, a 1/4 acre that takes 3-4 passes would come to $60-$70, that likely would be just past ankle / lower calf high.

The other method:
    Double price for lower calf high ($60 - $70 for that same 1/4 acre)
    Triple for knee high
    Quad for bootie high
    $200 for the 1st 1/4 acre flat rate for anything much past bootie high, $20 per 1/8 acre after that, so 1 acre neck high = $320

Price it both ways, compare the figures, hopefully they're close.

Examples:
    1/4 acre knee high, 125-150.
    1/2 acre calf high: 80-90
    etc, etc...

As they say, at least double.

I am starting to become a believer in that system, for one time / mid-season deals, I find some don't pay.