Not sure on Exmark 21

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by racer56, Mar 3, 2007.

1. racer56

racer56 LawnSite Senior Member
    from Kansas

Went to look at one the other day. I've been using a JD jx75 for years and so has Dad, with good luck. Last year we bent the crank and think I would like to replace than fix. The exmark to me just doesn't feel right. The things I don't like are, handle mounted too far back on chassis making the front seem hevier and wider turn around walking path, seems the bag attachment isn't very good, a lot more money thanthe JD. Heard it doesn't mulch or bag as well from a guy that has used both. I would use a new JD but the dealer here and I just don't seem to get along I guess. Seems like they have changed the jx75 since I bought my last one in 88. 1st problem other than minor stuff and I hear guys talking about getting a year or so with no problems and think they have something. Kind of limited here local other than home owner Honda and Toro. What else should I look at or will I get used to the exmark and like it...

2. J&R Landscaping

J&R Landscaping LawnSite Fanatic

Get either an Exmark Metro 21 or a Toro proline 21. It may take some time to get used tot hem but they are great machines. Do a search of either and you should get plenty of info!

3. TXNSLighting

TXNSLighting LawnSite Fanatic
    from DFW, TX

toro proline 21 is a great mower.

4. lawnboy dan

lawnboy dan LawnSite Gold Member

i dont like the new jd 75 either. too bad they stopped making the jx85

5. pclawncare

pclawncare LawnSite Senior Member

I hear ya guys on the jd's i have two one 75 and one 85 if they still built the old style ones id buy 2 or 3 in a heart beat. I just rebuilt both of mine new valve guides rings and all this winter so now i am just praying that the trans hold up. The new jd suck considerably bad i have used one and hated it i know 2 people in town that have bought one and sold it with in 2 months for less than half price. I have also demoed a honda hydro drive. It was a very smooth machine and i really liked it. The bagger is nice also. Just a little more than i wanted to spend right now at 1200 a piece. When my jd's do give out finaly and i quit trying to piece them together like i have been i will more than likely go with a HONDA i was significantly impressed with their performance

6. Scag48

Scag48 LawnSite Fanatic

I'm not terribly impressed with the mulching capabilities of my JX75. I bought one the last year I was in business before I sold out and gave it to my dad to use at home. However, I like the JX75 as a whole, just the mulching is terrible. Maybe I need a little better blade setup, running the JD mulching blade currently and not impressed. If you have any recommendations for a good mulching blade for a JX75, please let me know, was going to buy a new Exmark 21", then looked at the Honda commercial 21", now my old man is offering me the use of my old JX to get started up again.

7. yardmanlee

yardmanlee LawnSite Senior Member

Amen brother !!!

8. lawnboy dan

lawnboy dan LawnSite Gold Member

i bought gator blades for my jd,s but found they worked better with the stock blade-go figure. mine mulch fine with the stock blade so will just use that. my older 85 with out the bbc works great with the gator.its my newer 85 w/bbc that dosnt mulch as well with the gator.i guess i will start buying up all the old used 75,s that i see as i wont be buying the new style ones. how can jd mess up such a good thing?

9. pclawncare

pclawncare LawnSite Senior Member

Because it was working.

10. outrunjason

outrunjason LawnSite Senior Member
    from dallas

I hate to bash on exmark but I would never buy a metor 21 again. The handle comes loose all the time so you might as well get used to that. If you tighten it to much the bolts just break off. They made the handle longer becuase they said they thought it would give someone a longer stride when walking or something. But, I find it heavy and the handle is flemsly. I just went out and bought a new Toro on Friday. I even bought the one with the Kawaski.

I wouldn't buy it if I were you.