1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Not sure on Truck lettering!

Discussion in 'General Industry Discussions' started by Mowtown Mike, Feb 27, 2007.

1. Mowtown Mike

Mowtown Mike LawnSite Member

I sold my car to purchase my 2006 Ford F-350 dump last December. I do not have a vehicle to get around in other than my truck (which I love). It is a dark green color, it does not have any lettering or logos on it. I was wondering if I should put my name and numbers on it. I do like being anonomous, but I could use more business. Will getting my number out there for people to see help or hurt me, (prank calls, people fishing for prices, etc.) What do you guys think?
    I do not go to strip clubs, but I have parked it outside of bars to toss a few back.:drinkup:
  2. flyfisherman3369

flyfisherman3369 LawnSite Member

how about magnetic signs so you can take them off at end of day?
  3. gobblet

gobblet LawnSite Member

I personally use my work truck everyday, with lettering on it and it has built a good rep in my neighboorhood. Just dont use it for breaking the law!
  4. Mowtown Mike

Mowtown Mike LawnSite Member

I have thought about magnetic signs. I think they look cheesy and cheap. I am a pain in the a$$.
  5. daveyo

daveyo LawnSite Senior Member
    from N.J.

Magnetic signs don't last, I went through two sets in two years. I went vinyl and haven't looked back, plus the look is more professional in my opinion. Also, vinyl can last 3-6-9 years depending on the type you get, or what your budget calls for.
  6. qualitylawnmanagement

qualitylawnmanagement LawnSite Bronze Member

I got a set of magnets on my truck now, but I never take them off. To me I think they make me want to drive more careful and make sure I don't give my business a bad reputation, I admit it I was the type of person who roasted their tires at ever green light.lol:cool: But vinyl would be the way to go if you had another vehicle, I plan to vinyl my F-250 as soon as a buy another truck.
  7. brocksdiesel

brocksdiesel LawnSite Member

All of my trucks are vinyled even my personal one. There are pros and cons but i think the added advertisement is worth it. If you do good work the neighbors will notice and remember your name. I remember when i lettered my first truck, people would say i see your trucks everywhere. Well they were seeing just me. Goes to show you advertising pays. As for magnets i personally think most people view them as fly by night companies. Don't mean to offend just my opinion.

WALKER LANDSCAPE LawnSite Bronze Member

If you hae vinyl lettering do you have to have commercial tags too? If you dont someone could have told me about five years ago.:drinkup: :laugh:
  9. WildWest

WildWest LawnSite Senior Member

Depends on what state you live in!!! some states you do, some you don't! If you use your vehicle (with signs or not) for business you have to register it "commercial" in some states!

Go with the Vinyl...looks WAY more professional! I wouldn't hire someone with Magnet signs to be honest. If you aren't sure enough of your self to PERMANENTLY paste you name on your vehicle, then I sure as hell ain't "sure enough of you!
  10. qualitylawnmanagement

qualitylawnmanagement LawnSite Bronze Member

Even if you don't have vinyl, you are using it for business you should have commercial plates.