Not sure what step to take first

Discussion in 'Turf Renovation' started by wvbrian, Apr 15, 2014.

1. wvbrian

wvbrian LawnSite Member

I just took over a property that has a front "yard" that is about 80% crabgrass. Right now, it is just dormant, brown dead nothing. Before I took over, .15% dimension Lesco preemergent was applied 3/15. Without doing something, there is going to be nothing but brown dead crabgrass and more weeds until fall when I had initially planned to overseed. The homeowner wants something done now, but with the Dimension being put down only 4 weeks ago, i assume no seed is going to germinate.

So, my plan of attack is as follows:
    1. Mow as low as possible to scalp the crabgrass.
    2. Aerate in 2 passes.
    3. Run overseeder in 2 passes to try and rake up as much as possible of the crabgrass leaves.
    4. Seed with Fescue blend in 2 passes.
    5. Topdress with compost at 1/2".

Or would I be better off to lay the compost down first and seed on top of it, to provide a barrier to the Dimension in the soil?

Thanks in advance

2. Twinlakes

Twinlakes LawnSite Member

SOD time.
    OR
    Wait

Could try sprigs if $$$, allow.

3. wvbrian

wvbrian LawnSite Member

Do you think the 1st week of May would allow the Dimension to dissipate enough not to inhibit germination?

4. RigglePLC

RigglePLC LawnSite Fanatic

Not likely new seed would germinate for about 80 days. Try it and let us know what happens.

There will be plenty of grass soon. Crabgrass, most likely. Kill it about August first. Sow a top quality fescue about when high temps come down to about 85 in fall. Include about 15 percent bluegrass to provide greater "heal ability". Don't include perennial rye if your temps often go above 90. Water every day for 30 days. Use double the usual amount of seed--its cheaper than doing it twice.