Not sure what to do?

Discussion in 'Heavy Equipment & Pavement' started by cat2, Nov 25, 2007.

  1. cat2

    cat2 LawnSite Senior Member
    from Mi
    Posts: 891

    Ok I got my lincoln 12 volt grease gun. It said to leave it on the charger for 12 hours. I put it on for a few hours and the green light came on so i used it to grease 17 grease zerks. Now that i'm reading the book that came with it. It said it leave it on for 12 hours before use. it also said recharging the battery before it is about dead will reduce the total work life of the pack. So should I put it back on the charger overnight or run it down and then charge it overnight? i don't want to wreck this battery.
     
  2. dozerman21

    dozerman21 LawnSite Bronze Member
    Posts: 1,170

    You should've charged it the full 12 hours before using it for the first time, but since it's too late, I would charge the battery for 12 hours before using again. Since you didn't use it too much, hopefully it won't make a difference.

    If I were you I would buy an additional battery to use with your gun. It's nice to have a fresh back up when the first battery needs charged. You can leave the extra battery on the charger when you're not using it. The charger goes to trickle mode when the battery is at full strength to keep it fresh. I bought my Lincoln 12V 4 or 5 years ago, and I'm still on the original gun, charger, and 2 batteries... and I use it daily.:cool:
     
  3. cat2

    cat2 LawnSite Senior Member
    from Mi
    Posts: 891

    I used about 1/2 tube of grease
     
  4. bobcat_ron

    bobcat_ron LawnSite Fanatic
    Posts: 10,111

    The batteries need to be fully charged or they loose their "memory", that's assuming the batteries are Nickel-Cadmium (Ni-Cads), Nickel Metal (Ni-Mh) still need to be fully charged or they peak out too early and loose the charge.
     
  5. cat2

    cat2 LawnSite Senior Member
    from Mi
    Posts: 891

    There I put the battery back on the charger. I will leave it on there for 15 hours and hope it will be ok.:confused:
     
  6. cat2

    cat2 LawnSite Senior Member
    from Mi
    Posts: 891

    OK had it on for 20 hours, should I take it off now:confused:
     

Share This Page