Not sure with what equipement to start with

Discussion in 'Power Washing' started by mowlifebaby, Aug 24, 2013.

1. mowlifebaby

mowlifebaby LawnSite Member

ducnut, how many hours a week do you use your machine, in general?

total hours spent on it?

2. Roof Cleaning Virginia

Roof Cleaning Virginia LawnSite Member

We have multiple 5850 systems from Bob and they're great, but not for soft washing houses or pressure washing. For the latter, it's the highest GPM that you can afford that is the most profitable. JD makes great farm equipment, but I'd pass on their pressure washers. We run these from Bob http://pressuretek.com/bedr8gpm35ps.html but in a skid configuration.
    For houses, it's the GPM at low pressure that makes them invaluable and profitable (ie fast). FYI - We do this for a living.

3. mowlifebaby

It would be a part time business, around 10h a week, could be less, could be more. I don't have that kind of money as of right now. It's something I would really be looking at if business is good money. I'm just looking at starter equipement.

I realise I can't softwash since my area of business would mainly be cleaning hardscapes. Overhere stains are mainly dirt, not like you guys in the USA with mold, mildew, and algae.

4. whiffyspark

whiffyspark LawnSite Fanatic

You can soft wash anything

5. ducnut

ducnut LawnSite Bronze Member

Oh heck, I'd figure ~100hrs per year. It's strictly a side deal for those who need it done and I happen to be there. In this area, contractors seem to be too busy to be bothered. I'll step up and do just about anything, for anyone.

RCV is way more knowledgeable than I.

6. mowlifebaby

since most of the jobs I would get would probably be more into cleaning hardscapes (mostly pavers), decks, and patio. Would it be a better idea to get a good surface cleaner FIRST and than expand the business with a real good PW once I get more money?

EDIT: Oh I think I didn't get the part where you have to connect the surface cleaner to a PW... lol.

7. ducnut

ducnut LawnSite Bronze Member

I think you should just look into what we've talked about before. I think you're being optimistic on how many hours you're going to be getting right off the bat. What you make off the first ~4-5 jobs will pay for a ~$700 machine. Everything else will just about be pure profit, after that. By that time, you'll see exactly what you will need and work for you. It's hard to beat the versatility of a decent pressure washer and a set of tips. It'll do everything you've mentioned you want to do. It may not last a number of years, though. But, the more expensive stuff may not, either. You'll just have to get out there and try it.

8. mowlifebaby

That might be the wisest decision to make as of right now I guess.