Not towing the line!

Discussion in 'Business Operations' started by the ace, Jul 10, 2005.

1. the ace

the ace LawnSite Member
    from usa

I started a mowing service with a friend of mine last year and so far I could have gotten where we are alone. He does just fine when it comes to going out and mowing our properties, but we all know that is just a very small part of running an lco! I have accounted for 100 percent of all signed contracts, advertising ideas, equipment maintinance, customer relations, billing, and all other filing duties. I wouldn't mind any of this if he would pull his wieght in getting new accounts. Should I take my half and move on, or jump his a$$ and tell him to put up some sales numbers or else!
  2. promower

promower LawnSite Bronze Member

Get out before you invest any more of your time and money, start back up solo and never look back.
  3. tinman

tinman LawnSite Bronze Member
    from ga

partnerships are tough. I would only go that route if there was no way to do it alone. Usually it ruins a friendship because one person does most of the work. I f I were going to start buying up some rental homes I would need a partner. But starting a lawn service is pretty inexpensive compared to other businesses.

One good thing about a partner is being able to go on vacation in the busy summer. But there are other ways to do that.... have a dependable helper, family member, local LCO you are friendly with & trust, etc.
  4. nocutting

nocutting LawnSite Senior Member

Hi, thisjust seems to be a matter of finding your own attributes, obviously you knowwhat you can do?.....Now its time to split the work evenly. Not everybody is a Salesman, just as not everybody is a mechanic, or service applicator......Somebody has to be the "Brains', and somebody the "Follower", it seems as though "You" need to sit down with your "Buddy" and work things out before you say something that you'll regret?...."Partnerships are Great if You Set some boundries", or paramitters to work in?....If I were you I'd keep selling, haveing your Buddy doin the work......... :angel: :cool2: payup
  5. wrestlingcoach

wrestlingcoach LawnSite Senior Member

Get out now

I am in the same situation but now 7 years later and having $30,000 in equipment harder to get out

the partner doesn't really realize the choices he & his wife makes or doesn't make effects you also.

wait until your partner has a crisis in life,, such as marriage problems, boy then there are real problems w/ your business

speaking from experience, wanting to buy my partner out but he doesn't want to yet, because he doesn't know what he wants to do w/ his life
  6. freddyc

freddyc LawnSite Senior Member

people gravitate toward what they like or are capable of.

from what you describe, you are the business manager and he is the worker. Why don't you just expand that and let him do all the mowing and then as your business grows, make him a foreman???

If what you say is true, its unlikely he will ever put up sales numbers so don't expect it----it isn't going to happen. Just remember... in his eyes, he probably IS pulling his weight right now.

He will never be the partner you desire so it will only grate on your nerves as time goes on. Either expand what it is now or cut him loose.
  7. the ace

the ace LawnSite Member
    from usa

If I make him a foreman is he still entitled to half of the incoming profits or should he become a higher paid employee at this point? You are right, he does not have the mind set for sales, but I did expect some input to our customer base. You are also right in that in his mind he does feel like he is pulling his wieght, so how do I tactfully tell my friend of almost 30 years that he is going to be promoted to mowing slave. I don't want to admit it but my wife did tell me "just do it alone"!
  8. topsites

topsites LawnSite Fanatic

I agree, it is the reason why I recommend NEVER start a business with a friend.
  9. Howard Roark

Howard Roark LawnSite Senior Member
    from Texas

Sever the ties and go do yourself what you know you're capable of. Any pain he may feel now by breaking it off is nothing compared to the pain you'll feel years into as he's still just going through the motions.
  10. wrestlingcoach

wrestlingcoach LawnSite Senior Member

My partner and I have been friends for 30 years,

somehow get rid of him now

so you won't be mad at him every week