1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Not using trailer. Choices?

Discussion in 'Trucks and Trailers' started by Mclaughld, Feb 14, 2005.

1. Mclaughld

Mclaughld LawnSite Member

I dont want to use a trailer. What are my options when it comes to trucks and modifying the bed. I'm only going to use 21' mowers so space shouldnt be a problem. Do people use flat bed trucks? What about something low to the ground, like a toyota? Where do you find racks to put on? Does anyone have a website that show this stuff?
  2. dcondon

dcondon LawnSite Silver Member

If your not going to use a trailer then why not lift the mower in the back of the truck and throw the trimmers in???? :dizzy:
  3. Mclaughld

Yes i was planning on putting the mowers in back. I wanted to know about racks and things like that.
  4. Petr51488

Petr51488 LawnSite Silver Member
    from NJ

Don't even waste your money on racks for a pickup.. buy a cheap 300.00 small trailer.. it will save you so much time and energy.. Just think, your going to have to lift this 21''er EVERY time you have to load and unload.. if you use ramps, itll be a pain to take up and take down every time.. Your better off with a trailer..
  5. Scag48

Scag48 LawnSite Fanatic

If you are dead set on using a pickup without a trailer, don't even bother with racks, there is no point. Just lift your mowers up into the bed and throw the trimmer and blower in the back of the bed as well. Personally, I think a trailer is the way to go but far be it for me to persuade you otherwise.
  6. Mickhippy

Mickhippy LawnSite Platinum Member

Only time I use a trailer is if there will be heaps of clippings to pick up or I'm using the rider. Other wise, I just cart the mower etc around on the ute.

Trailers give me the sh!ts around town!

7. Mclaughld

What do you do with clipping when your not using your trailer? Just dump them in back? snt it hard on your back lifting and lowering that mower?
  8. Tony Clifton

Tony Clifton LawnSite Senior Member

Sometimes there is no need for a trailer. Plus you have to have a place to park it, not everyone wants or is allowed to have a trailer in their driveway. Plus it could be a pain in cities etc. especially with parking.
    People are saying it will be a pain to load/unload the mower or pickup the ramps everytime. HELLO! Do you not need to lift the trailer gate everytime?
  9. nt1

nt1 LawnSite Senior Member

I've been considering doing the same thing for use during the middle of the summer. Our lot sizes are fairly small and we only use 21" mowers, probably just like many places in Cali. In the spring and fall a trailer is necessary for us because of all the extra bulk; hedge/tree trimmings, leaves, etc. In the summer though we mulch everything and all we need is 2 or 3 21" mowers, trimmers, and blowers most of the time.

You might try having a 5' to 8' gate fabricated to replace your tailgate and put trimmer trap racks on the sides in the stake pockets for trimmers/stick edgers, then put mowers in the bed with a couple of blowers. I think for that, a small truck would be best for the $ (less overhead) and easier to get equipment in and out of. You should look at JUSTMOWIT (a member here) for some pictures and ideas. His trucks have custom made flatbeds with small dovetails, racks, and storage boxes.

I would like to see some PICTURES or WEB SITES of alternatives to using a trailer as well!!
  10. MJhnson Lawn

MJhnson Lawn LawnSite Member

I"ve used a trailer for the last 2 years but before that I used the bed
    of my truck with some ramps that I still use from time to time.
    I think the trailer is more convenient, I got tired of picking up my
    push mower or driving my rider up the ramps.I think the older you get,
    the trailer becomes more convenient.