not wantin to bag as much!!

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Hunter Landscape, Feb 12, 2001.

1. Hunter Landscape

Hunter Landscape LawnSite Member

i have a 52" grasshopper with the grass collection system. i have bagged most of the properties that i maintain, due to the fact that usually the bagger is "hooked up" to the mower :).
    this year i plan on being more productive with my time as well as maint on equip. (bagging dirt can wear equip out!!! lol.) therefore i am planning on bagging only when necessary like when the grass is tall, or there is debris in the yard such as pine cones and stuff.
    that being said, what have you all found to be the best blade combo, for the side discharge of clippings. i side discharged some last year and was not satisfied with the end result usually.

any hints / suggestions :)

2. Scraper

Scraper LawnSite Bronze Member

How often are you cutting? From what I've seen the Grasshoppers do a fairly good job side discharging. If you are cutting anything other than weekly...that may be your problem.

3. Hunter Landscape

Hunter Landscape LawnSite Member

i try to get my customers for weekly maint. and some do this and want it weekly. but the fact here in sc is sometimes some lawns don't need a weekly service or even worse the clients don't want or "can't afford" weekly service. so some of my accts are in fact every 10 days or every other week.

i started this bus. about a year ago and i am still trying to grow my bus. esp. with the right customers who have the right contacts :)

4. 65hoss

65hoss LawnSite Fanatic

I personally made up my mind that I would not bag grass during cutting season. No exceptions. I do like the bagged looked, so I use the exmark mulching kits. I don't know how well the grasshopper mulches, but I was told that they do a pretty good job. Its up to you, that is why your in business for yourself.

5. Skookum

Skookum LawnSite Senior Member

Sounds like the time between cuts might be your reason for lack of satisfaction in the side discharge. I always notice a school down the road from me that use Grasshoppers. Seems that when they do not cut it within a 7 day schedule, it really does not do a very good job of despursing the clippings. It might be the deflector or just the deck design. This appreance did make me not buy a Grasshopper though when I was looking at ZTR's. They were my first choice when started looking.

Did you try raising your deflector a little when you discharged? If it caused windrows when you discharged it might not if you raise the deflector just a little bit. It does not take a whole lot.

The secret to discharging like mulching is most definately cutting the proper amount weekly or even sooner, like in the Spring. I never bag and I use my main 2 Toro mowers as a side discharge with great results. I normally use just regular high lifts. I have and do use the Gators like in the Spring and Fall. I have not yet used a double blade setup, YET.

I would also mention that the grass types and qaulity of the lawns do effect the final results just like with mulching, as well as the height you are cutting. The taller the grass the better when discharging. If cutting real low, there is no place for grass to go but on top. This is true for mulching as well. I have mulched lawns that were so thick that when trying to cut low, the clippings just make a slurry mess on top of the grass, like throwing a bag of mulched clippings on a putting green.

6. Island Lawn

Island Lawn LawnSite Senior Member

I cut every 7 days!
    I had one last year that needed it every 5 days!
    SC lawns do NEED it!

1/3 of grass blade length rule of thumb.

If the grass gets too long, it makes a mess and is harder on me and my equipment!
    AND its bad for the grass

Educate your customers.

There are a lot of good threads here on how to let your customers know that you are the pro and they hire your expertise, not just a grass cutter.
    If they would rather have a "grasscutter", maybe you could refer one to them.
    Then you can concentrate on building your reputation with the customers that want a pro! They could probably refer you to others that appreciate a pro.

It's nice to be appreciated!