1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Notched high lifts for XR7 60"

Discussion in 'Hustler Turf Equip (Archived)' started by tacoma200, Aug 8, 2006.

1. tacoma200

tacoma200 LawnSite Fanatic

I would like to try some notched high lifts (or catching flat blades as you call them) for my 60" XR7 deck but Hustler doesn't seem to offer any, only the high sail flat blade (fusion). What size center hole does the 60" XR7 have and mabe I can try a different brand if you don't make them. I think they are 20.50" long. Trying to get a little more lift than the Fusion high sails have. Thanks.
  2. mowerconsultant

mowerconsultant LawnSite Fanatic
    Male, from Syracuse, NY

The Fusion's are the highest lift blade we offer.
    I will get the measurements you need, so you can look for a different blade.
  3. gene gls

gene gls LawnSite Gold Member

The sail on a Fusion blade is the same higth as a standard notched blade, 2.5" wide blade is 1.20" high sail. A 3.0" wide blade has a 1.5" sail. I bought a bunch of different blades last year to do this same serch. Dixie Chopper and Exmark are the only brands showing a notched sail that is 20.5" long with a 5/8" hole. The Exmark blade has a longer sail, like what I use. Mowmore's catalog has the best blade discription of any catalog that I have seen.
  4. tshank

tshank LawnSite Member

Any Dixie Chopper and Exmark w/5/8" hole for 60" deck will work. Oregon has a notched highlift for Dixie and Exmark. Don't bother. Regular high lifts seem to give best cut.
  5. TLS

TLS LawnSite Fanatic

Try an OEM eXmark notched foil Excalibur blade. You won't have any more lift though. Maybe less turbulence and maybe better in the wet.
  6. tacoma200

I am not getting near the lift with the Hustler XR7 with fusion high lifts that I do with the Exmark Ultracut with notched high lifts. The grass looks fine from a distance but it is not sucked up and cut off as even on Nothern grasses. This may just be the no baffle deck design but I could use some more lift for picky customers. I'm not going the spacer route so I thought switching to a notched high lift like Exmark uses would give a little more lift than the solid foil high lift. Here is the explanation I was given by Exmark. Fescue has to be stood up before cutting for a smooth cut, unlike Southern grasses that are rigid:

These are factory blade and best for most applications
    Max. lift and discharge velocity
    Ideal for heavy thick grasses
    Take full advantage of hp

Blades reduce flex when mowing
    Blades don’t tend to bend as easily after impact
    Can help in reducing blow out
    Helpful in cutting Bahia shoot, Dandelions, Foxtail, etc.
    Will reduce discharge velocity
  7. tacoma200

Mowed fescue again today. Looks good from a distance just not as smooth as I would like on closer examination. A few missed blades but not too bad. Just wish I could get enough lift to get that carpet look I'm used to. I dont want any washers or drastic changes. If any one has used the notched high lifts on fescue let me know if it helped. I'll eventually get around to trying some but it may be awhile. It's getting to where I use the Exmark on the better yard's and thats not good when you've got a new Huster. I'm sure I'll figure out a solution. Doubles are not an option (not enough power) and I shouldn't have to use them with a new mower. This would not be a problem in coarser grasses but the fescue lays down and needs sucked back up strait before cutting. Any idea's....
  8. mowerconsultant

mowerconsultant LawnSite Fanatic
    Male, from Syracuse, NY

You really need to put the spacers in, that is part of the design of the XR-7, being able to space the blades further down below the front of the deck for those southern grasses / conditions.
  9. mx495

mx495 LawnSite Senior Member
    from MO

He's talking about fescue, should he still use the spacers?
  10. tshank

tshank LawnSite Member

Notched high lifts do not cut as good as solid foil. I think it messes with the air flow and causes poor cut. The spacer and lowering the baffle really works when things dry out. Don't know much 'bout deck design, but get the idea that all that Exmark vac. is what caused the poor wet grass performance. Every mower is a trade-off of some kind.