note with the check

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by bobbygedd, Sep 5, 2005.

1. bobbygedd

bobbygedd LawnSite Fanatic
    from NJ

this is what it said, "please do not come back till after sept. 15th. the lawn just does not need cutting". this came with the check a week ago, meaning, he wants me to skip 3 weeks of mowing. what would you do?

2. nobagger

nobagger LawnSite Gold Member
    from Pa

I would call him back and say that if the lawn is extremely high then you gonna have to charge him extra. I have a few customers calling saying it doesn't need it this week, but its been very dry where I live. I just say ok thanks we'll see ya in a couple of weeks. They just saved me $$$ in gas for a wasted trip.

3. lawnmaniac883

lawnmaniac883 LawnSite Silver Member

How many customers do you have? Sounds like a candidate to be dropped.

4. Brianslawn

Brianslawn LawnSite Silver Member

its his last one.

i had one been doing 3 years no problems. few weeks ago they asked to only do it every 2 weeks even though they fertilized once a month and water heavily every day. did neighbors next week and saw theirs was getting pretty shabby. following week it was so tall i would have got 10 hoppers off it so i just mulched it. had to go over front yard twice and still didnt look its best. knew they wouldnt want to pay tripple for a clean-up so just left it kinda half assed and charged them $5 more for the extra time. told them every 2 week price was going to be $5 more and no grass catching. they found some dumb kid to do it for half the price every week. must take him 3 hrs to catch all that thick bermuda with a push mower, and he probably spends more on gas than what he gets. should tell the kid he can make triple at taco bell!

5. Howard Roark

Howard Roark LawnSite Senior Member
    from Texas

I would send a letter "Lickedy..SSSS.....quick" telling him you'll be no longer servicing the property unless the mowing schedule is adhered to.
    YOU make the rules, not them. THEY are expendable.

6. bobbygedd

bobbygedd LawnSite Fanatic
    from NJ

i love it, you have learned

7. PTP

PTP LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Tulsa

Next year, I will have a policy that says that regular weekly customers may skip 2 mowings per year. Anything more than that and they will be charged for the mowing or dropped.

There are too many people who do want the service for them to be taking up room on my schedule and then asking me not to mow.

8. LAWNS AND MOWER

LAWNS AND MOWER LawnSite Bronze Member

I have a neighbors yard I do, but not in sight of my house thank God, and she is a total PITA. Last year she cut me off after the first cut in Sept and the grass was still growing good. Cut it last week and I'm amazed she didn't cut me off yet, but she is on the bubble. Trys to tell me my big mower should have no problem cutting her yard when its done every-other week, when it should be done at least every 10 days. I have to double cut it every time, but skimp on the weedeating to make up for my wasted time. She told me if I can't mow it every other week, then she will just go buy a mower and do it herself. Well, I think I'll give her a Home Cheapo flier with end of the season deals on push mowers!!!

9. Soupy

Soupy LawnSite Gold Member

I'll bend policy to reasonable request, but I don't 3 weeks is reasonable. I wonder what my insurance company would say If I sent them a letter telling them I'm not going to need my truck for 3 weeks if they would adjust my bill.

For this reason, I am slowly trying to switch all customers over to 12 month billing.

10. sheshovel

sheshovel LawnSite Fanatic

Well with that 10 page contract you have I'm sure you have covered this by stipulating that regardless of the lawn not needing to be mowed,that he must still pay you for the mows that he has cancled because your contract is for so many mows within so many months no matter if you mow it or not. Right answer??