nothern tool excavator

Discussion in 'Heavy Equipment & Pavement' started by lawnandplow42, Mar 29, 2005.

1. lawnandplow42

lawnandplow42 LawnSite Senior Member

In northern tool and equipment catalog, i saw a 21 horsepower mini excavator for 14,000 dollars. This must be junk. I didn't even see a brand name. I'd be curious to try it out though.

2. PLM-1

PLM-1 LawnSite Bronze Member

I believe they are used. I haven't looked at one of their catalogs in a while, but they used to have used fork lifts and skid steers.

3. Scag48

Scag48 LawnSite Fanatic

I believe these machines are IHI and are used. They might be reliable, but it's hard to say. I think I'll stick to my Cat dealer.

4. iluvscag

iluvscag LawnSite Senior Member

Have any of you guys actually bought something from N. supply? I get the magazine but is it worth it.

5. PLM-1

PLM-1 LawnSite Bronze Member

I've bought a wheelbarrow wheel and tire from them! Does that count?

6. Scag48

Scag48 LawnSite Fanatic

Constuction equipment, in my opinion, should not be bought out of a magazine. Wheelbarrows, small power equipment, power tools, all that is fine. If I can't sit on the piece, run it, put it through it's paces before I drop $14,000 it seems like a real gamble to me.

7. YardPro

YardPro LawnSite Gold Member

14K is not really cheap for a mini ex.

you can buy a good used bobcat 331 for $14K range

8. GreenMonster

GreenMonster LawnSite Silver Member
    from NH

I actually believe those mini's are new, but they really redefine mini. I can't see something that small being any good for a little digging in really tight quarters.

9. lawnandplow42

lawnandplow42 LawnSite Senior Member

thanks for the input guys. Its a 21 horsepower engine, that defintly doesn't sound like enough!! It doesn't say if its diesel or not (i'm assuming it is)

10. Moe Fish

Moe Fish LawnSite Member
    from Fla

I found this on their web site.

FREE SHIPPING -- bobcat Yanmar Mini Excavator — 26 HP, Year 1993-96
    Convenient and compact excavator is ideal for a wide variety of landscaping and agricultural work. Features a backfill bucket and digging depth of 8 1/2ft. Models available are 1993-1996 and are used in good condition. Powered by a 3 cylinder diesel Yanmar engine. Each unit has been thoroughly inspected for mechanical problems and leaks and will come with at least 50% tread. Truck ship.