1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community on the Franchising Forum.

Dismiss Notice

Nothing else like it

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself' started by Lawnman4life, Feb 24, 2006.

1. Lawnman4life

Lawnman4life LawnSite Member

Well here it goes. I am 26 and have owned my own business now for two years. I started doing lawncare and landscaping at 13 years old working for my Uncles company. I pretty much ran a crew for him that maintained about 110 lawns (mostly residential some commercial). After I graduated I decided to chase the better money, and got into construction. Well lets just say that I have learned a couple of different trades over the next few years (concrete, fertilizing, ceramic tile, basement remods, pretty much anything hands on). Well as I realized over the years, there is nothing like walking behind a mower on a beautiful day. I know there is alot more to it, but it beats alot of stuff. Well I got sick of the layoffs, competition for my job, and most of all the guy I had to answer to. It sucks being told to do something and having to do it whether it is wrong or not. I do not like to operate like that, I try to do the best at whatever it is I am doing. So I decided to chase my dream of being in business for myself.
    Anyway, thanks to a gifted partner (Salesman) we signed up 37 residential customers, and 2 smaller commercial accounts our first year. Also, took on many cleanups, shrub trimming, and a couple smaller landscapes. We hope to pick up a few more commercial accounts this year, and expand more with each coming year.
    I do not regret my many different career paths along the way, they taught me alot and allow me to make a decent buck in the winter. What I do regret is not chasing this dream a little sooner... So, for all those that say your just a lawnguy, I say nope, "I am a happy lawnguy" , and hows your cubicle.....

2. kirk brown

kirk brown LawnSite Member
    from Ontario

good answer:)

3. nephilim0167

nephilim0167 LawnSite Member

Funny you should say that... I tell my girlfriend that every day when we talk about how our days went :weightlifter: Glad you're diggin' the field.

4. daveintoledo

daveintoledo LawnSite Silver Member

I should have started sooner........ you know it.... me too, if we would have only known ........:)