Nothing Runs Like a Deere????

Discussion in 'General Industry Discussions' started by finneylawns, Apr 14, 2011.

1. finneylawns

finneylawns LawnSite Member

I have a question for the group. I started my business in August of last year as a part-time job for me being that I am full-time paramedic. My father-in-law is my mentor in the business, he has been in it for 16+ years.

He advised me to go to the local Deere dealership and start making my face known and looking at the equipment. He stated that he has used John Deere products in the past a swears by there reliability, quality of cut, and help during and after the sale.

In January I purchased a Lesco 32" Walk behind mower. (Now this mower is being sold under the John Deere Name) Like it so far, but have not been that happy with the dealership. About a month ago I found this forum and have been reading it about 4 to 5 days a week. Really enjoy all the information that is written.

All that being said now to the question.

1. I only see a small percentage of people on this site that use or recommend Deere products. What do you all know that I am not aware of.

Also I see that the Ferris line is highly recommended especially for the ride on Zero Turns. I really like what I see on there website.

2. Do any of you have any experience with the Ferris 32" walk behind.

Thanks for any information,

Marcus Finney
    Finney Lawns

2. AEL

AEL LawnSite Bronze Member

Very proud owner of 2 johndeere 997 zero turn mowers, 2 36“ walkbehinds, john deere mini excavators etc. Before I bought my zero turns I was going to buy ferris. Build quality is much better on the jd I find.
    Posted via Mobile Device

3. weeze

weeze LawnSite Fanatic

john deere is probably the best out there in my opinion. there are other good companies too. some dealers are great and some aren't no matter what brand it is. here the john deere dealer actually gives better deals than the scag or hustler dealers so i feel it's a win win situation to go with deere. here for example: the scag dealer has a scag tiger cat with 48" cut and 19hp kawi engine with 10cc pumps for $8000...the hustler dealer has an x-one with 54" cut and 26hp kawi with 12cc pumps for $8800....the john deere has a z910a with 54" cut and 22hp kawi with 13cc pumps for $7000....which would you choose?...4hp isn't worth $1800 lol....you can't always stick with one dealer. you may have to buy a mower at one place, a blower at another, and a trimmer at yet another. just go where you can get the best deal no matter what you are buying. if you have to order things online then do that. i bought my trimmer online and they shipped it to me in a box brand new.

Last edited: Apr 14, 2011
  4. Roger

Roger LawnSite Fanatic

Don't confuse the Lesco/MTD(?) products sold under the Deere name (John Deere Landscapes), with the products designed and manufactured under Deere itself. There is a very big difference.

Go to the Deere website and you will find 900 series ZTR products. These are NOT the Lesco rebranded products. These are the Deere products that are discussed often on LS (see Post #2 of this thread).

Some of us have 700 series ZTRs, but the newer models are now the 900 series across the board. There are also w/b mowers designed and manufactured by Deere. Again, these are not the Lesco rebranded products.

5. Thomas Grundy

Thomas Grundy LawnSite Member

If your getting a walk behind get an exmark. I could see a jd zero turn but not walk behind. Im in louisville you dont see john deer around here all exmark scag and ferris.

6. grassman177

grassman177 LawnSite Fanatic

i still am not impressed with build quality or anything about deere, but the 7 iron deck is pretty darn impressive. it is the whole rest of the machine i dont like

7. LawnCareNoobie

LawnCareNoobie LawnSite Senior Member

Like what?

8. weeze

weeze LawnSite Fanatic

yeah like what? lol they seem to be built very solid to me. they should know how to build them with all of their tractor experience. they seem to be built really well to me. also the hustlers seem to be built well. scags are supposed to be but there's something about them that i don't like. not sure what it is but they just rub me the wrong way for some reason. maybe it's the brown seats or the cheesy tiger stripes i dunno lol. i think it's that they seem to be all brawn without any finesse. the john deeres seem to have the brawn and finesse in a balanced package.

Last edited: Apr 14, 2011
  9. LawnCareNoobie

LawnCareNoobie LawnSite Senior Member

There is no question that they are built heavy duty. The setting of the deck height by the dial and floor parking break is a nice feature, great deck, good stability on hills, rib caster tires, etc.

The only knock on them is that they are limited. There is only one available gas engine brand and only one diesel offered in their commercial lineup. However the variety of the engine HP and deck size choices is good. The MOD is another plus.

10. blabarre

blabarre LawnSite Member

I like my deere. I have a 717a. The thing is built like a tank. Only thing I don't like is it doesn't have a gas gauge. Anyone know if there is an aftermarket one you can get for it?