Notice for pesticide apps.

Discussion in 'Pesticide & Herbicide Application' started by gunputt, Feb 2, 2002.

1. gunputt

gunputt LawnSite Member

We have a senator in Omaha that is proposing the adoption of the Pesticide Notification Act. Does anyone know much about this law?

2. Lanelle

Lanelle LawnSite Bronze Member

We have a law in Virgina that requires that property managers put out a physical notice (signs) 24 hrs (as I recall) in advance of the application. This applies to housing areas such as apartments, condominiums, town home neighborhoods. This does not apply to single-family home lawns. However, the common areas that are treated would have to have notifications. The reality is that property management companies pay the application company to perform the notification service, since they are scheduling the work. So, this has turned into another way to make money. Post-application notices have been routine on all sites for a long time here.

3. ohiolawnguy

ohiolawnguy LawnSite Senior Member

post application notices are the law here in ohio, and there is also a law that states that an abutting resident may receie notce PRIOR to an application if requested. this notice can be in writing, or by phone, as long as it is within 24 hours of appication.

4. gunputt

gunputt LawnSite Member

this guy wants a 48 hour written notice, for anyone within 150 feet of the property, 24 notice posted in the yard with 3x5 signs and post app signs for 48 hours.

5. tremor

tremor LawnSite Bronze Member

Hey Gunputt,
    I'm sorry I didn't see your post sooner.
    Forward me you own email address as soon as you can. We fought this thing hard in New York & lost the most important counties (we had a few wins). I will forward your story & e-mail to RISE & the NY Alliance For Environmental Concerns (I'm a member). I live in CT where we (PLCAA & PPUC) hired a lobbyist who lobbied FOR a voluntary registry. This served to pre-empt the concerns of the chemo-phobes & has negated the issue here all together. Most applicators I know have no more than a few accounts that are affected & the number of people on the registry is declining every year.
    Forward a quick e-mail to:

sls247@lesco.com

Thanks,
    Steve