1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Notice Shell gas smells very different from Chevron?

Discussion in 'General Industry Discussions' started by yungman, Mar 22, 2008.

1. yungman

yungman LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Calif.

I have been using Chevron 91 octane since I started using lawn equipments. I change to Shell one time. The gas smell very different. The Chevron smelled more alcohol where the Shell smelled more karocine( spelling??)!!!

Anyone notice different smell of different gas? I am going with Shell because I think alcohol have less lubricating property than gasoline!!!

Any suggestion what kind to use, I wonder the composition of gas are the same in different states.:waving:
  2. Richard Martin

Richard Martin LawnSite Fanatic

Now you're choosing gasoline based on smell? :hammerhead::dizzy::laugh:
  3. topsites

topsites LawnSite Fanatic

I've noticed economy (cheap) fuel smells like horse manure in comparison to a name brand fuel (especially premium).
    Doesn't work if you're used to cheap fuel smells, but the other way around it sure does.
    Filling up with a nice name brand super for some years and the smell of cheap fuel is a total turn off.
  4. corey4671

corey4671 LawnSite Silver Member

I had always suspected there were more than a few guys on here who were huffing gas fumes....
  5. Mark Bogart

Mark Bogart LawnSite Member

It's just the different types of additives each fuel company adds to there gas. That's why one brand may smell different from another.
  6. broncscott

broncscott LawnSite Member

I think the Shell fuel smells the same a gas did in the 60's-70's. My Denali and mini S seam to run better on shell fuel compared to cheeper brands. Higher quality fuels let the computer give more spark advance
  7. Stillwater

Stillwater LawnSite Platinum Member

hey stop sniffin all the gas save some for us
  8. yungman

yungman LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Calif.

That's what I think, if the gas smell alcohol, it can't be good.

To Richard Martin
    I am just trying to find a gas that has less alcohol.
  9. nosparkplugs

nosparkplugs LawnSite Gold Member

Diesel saves the confusion, and smells better IMO
  10. Lurch123

Lurch123 LawnSite Member

Nothing smells better than diesel and 90w gear oil, except racing fuel!!:dizzy: