1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Notiched over Standard Highlift blades, pros/cons of each?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Tonyr, May 15, 2004.

1. Tonyr

Tonyr LawnSite Bronze Member

G'Day folks,

I've always wandered what the pros/ cons are with these 2 blade designs...

I'm running notched highlifts on my 04 toro and they are good, never tried standards....what does notched blades do better or different to standards?

Thanks guys,
  2. Fareway Lawncare

Fareway Lawncare LawnSite Silver Member
    from Canada

The Notched Throw Further, Faster & More Furious than Solid Foil!

The Solids Leave a Better Cut in Normal Conditions!
  3. dishboy

dishboy LawnSite Platinum Member
    from zone 6

I have found this is true. I bag all the time and prefer the cut of the Solids unless the grass is sopping wet. I notice stragglers on my lawns that have more stolonous turf using the notched blades. This is using the Exmark 36 TTHP
  4. dvmcmrhp52

dvmcmrhp52 LawnSite Platinum Member
    from Pa.

It's all about conditions,wet grass tall grass,spring growth,summer growth,fall growth,type of turf............................
    I don't know aussie grasses but I know what works and doesn't work for our conditions which change quite frequently.
    There is no one answer,but there are some basics.
    When you say notched do you mean notched as in that greatest of mowing machine makers Exmark notched foils(had to put that in there tony) or are you talking about gator type blades?
    If you are talking about exmark type notched foils I don't really see a difference between the notched and solid foil blades...........again,conditions.
    PM me if ya like...................
  5. DennisF

DennisF LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Florida

The theories about notched foils on mower blades are confusing. I've heard about a dozen different reasons for placing them there, and most of them don't seem to be valid. The only good theory (at least one that's believable) that I have heard is that the notched blade creates more turbulance inside the deck chamber. The greater turbulance keeps the clippings suspended in the chamber a little bit longer allowing the clippings to be cut smaller. Even that theory isn't useful unless you're mulching since you want the clippings to get out of the chamber as soon as possible to prevent clogging. I say try both types and use the one that works the best on the type of grass you normally cut.
  6. Runner

Runner LawnSite Fanatic

I can tell you this. Notched foils on my 60" Lazer will leave a streak down the left-center of the stripe.
  7. Tonyr

Tonyr LawnSite Bronze Member

Thanks guys, this is the exact help I was after! Thanks!

dvmcmrhp52, m a t e......love your humour! (was humour eh?) lol.
    Yeah, notched like the greatest of mowing machine makers Toro, same as the 2nd best mower Exmark, a short lifted sail with a notch cut out behind it. ha, ha.

I asked this to another mowing companies dealer once and he said notched high lifts were quieter, that's all the difference was....

You all gave great sound reasons here, I appreciate it.

BTW, In Queensland here our grasses are dryer than yours I think, and usually not as well maintained.

I think that when I run a mulching blade e.g Recyler in side discharge mode in stalky grasses the cut is cleaner than high lifts, very Irish eh? Doesn't make sense I know....this is Australia, nothing is meant to make sense! LOL!

I'm hoping to try Raptors, a bi cut blade as a general purpose blade, likes, dis likes?

I want small clippings but not thrown so far...want my cake and eat it too, lol.

thanks again.