November 23, Stripes!!

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by bntt68, Nov 23, 2004.

1. bntt68

bntt68 LawnSite Senior Member

I cant believe its Nov. 23. Time to winterize.

DSCF0075.JPG

2. Green Care

Green Care LawnSite Senior Member

Pretty good there.

3. tiedeman

tiedeman LawnSite Fanatic
    from earth

looks good. The looks of all those trees in the back, I imagine that was not a fun fall clean up

4. bntt68

I used my JD stander with mega mos on it and then Picked it up with my Billy Goat 33" with the accelerator bagger.My new Redmax 8000 helped alot too.

5. Smithers

Smithers LawnSite Silver Member

it looks really, really good...do you reemmber if you used to get the same stripes before you had the meg-mos?

I am thinking of purchasing a set just for that reason. i really dont want to mess around with chains or rollers. I dont know if the meg-mos will take care of the stripes with my Lazer z

6. Lawn-Scapes

Lawn-Scapes LawnSite Silver Member

George,

Are you saying you can't get your Lazer to stripe? They are one of the best at laying stripes.. no real effort involved. You just need to have the deck pitched 1/8-1/4 of an inch forward and cut at 3 inches or better.

7. Smithers

Smithers LawnSite Silver Member

Hi tom, long time no see....

how are you doing, buddy?

Thanks for replying. Yeah, i can't get good stripes with the Lazer. I always thought that i need to have a roller, that's how bad they look (or don't appear, actually).

My deck is hanging on chains from the chassis. By "pich it forward 1/8", do you mean to loosen the nuts on the front two chains, so that deck drops a little bit? I never thought of that, but i will do that tomorrow. I have to fall cleanup my yard and i will try to see how the stripes look on it.

8. Lawn-Scapes

Lawn-Scapes LawnSite Silver Member

Before you take a wrench to it.. measure it first. Make sure you are on a level surface. First check to see if the deck is level side to side. Then have all the blades aligned front to back. Then measure the blade at the front of deck from blade to ground.. then do the same at the rear of the blade.

9. bntt68

Them Stripes are from my 33" Billy Goat. My John Deere stander does stripe better with the Meg Mo setup. Hope this helps.

10. Envy Lawn Service

Envy Lawn Service LawnSite Fanatic

George,

I'd start out with say 1/8" of pitch first. These 44" & 48" machines have a lot shorter blades than the 60" machines do. So due to that the rise to run (house roof talk) is actually steeper. What I mean is, your 44" blades will be sitting at a steeper angle that a 60" with the same pitch measurement. Sometimes this can cause them to stripe, but you get funny looking streaky stripes.

So try 1/8" pitch. But don't move the deck chain bolts. What a pain! Use your treaded rod links. Adjust the nuts to allow the front carrier arms to lower 1/8".....
    Let me see if I can't find that eXmark thread about all this.... would help more...

Also, have you checked your engine RPM's? You need all you can safely get, again because the blades are shorter. This equals out to slower blade tip speed.

Maybe all this will help. I don't know.... the eXmarks don't stripe all that well in this area either. The stripes are there. Just very faint. You are in Michigan though, and I think Expert is up there and getting great stripes with eXmark. Maybe he has a kit?