november service.....

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by bobbygedd, Oct 30, 2005.

1. bobbygedd

bobbygedd LawnSite Fanatic
    from NJ

ok, we been through it all. the bottom line is, charging "per cut" will never happen for me again. in 2005 is still had a few that were on a "per cut" basis. never again. from now on, it's 28 weeks x the price of each cut, times 7 months. example- $30x 28 cuts = $840. $840 divided by 7 months = $120 per month. due on 4/1, then the next 6 payments are due on 5/1, 6/1, 7/1, 8/1, 9/1, 10/1. this is GRASSCUTTING ONLY from the 3rd week in april, through october. if i'm there 4 times a month, 5 times a month, 2 times a month, it's the same monthly price. no grace period on payments, not even one day. if the payment isn't there by the first, a $10 late fee aplies, service is suspended till payment is made. end of story. as far as anything else during these months, like leaves/branches, those tumbleweed things that fall from the oak trees... there will be a "debris" cleanup charged. if it's only a little, it be $3, $5, $10 bucks. if it's alot, it's charged accordingly. moving further....i need help with the wording on something. people who just want only mowing, will have thier MOWING service cease at the end of october. there will be service available for november, however. it will be called, "november service." this will include 1-2 grass cuts, as needed, and leaf cleanup. i got all the policies in writing concerning this service, here is what i'm having trouble with- the "november service" will be quoted at a flat price, for the month of november. it includes 1-2 mows, plus leaf/limb/ natural debris cleanup. i get 50% down on november 1st, and the remainder on dec 1st. OK, BUT...... what if i cleanup MOST of the leaves, then it snows around thanksgiving, making it impossible to complete the month of november? no way they keep the last half of the payment. i need to word it, in such a manner, that if incliment weather causes us to not be able to complete the november service, i have the right, to determine how much the customer owes for work completed. in other words- the "november service" is $300. i got $150 down on nov. 1st. we did most of the cleanup, over the next 3 weeks, say 75% of it. then snow and freezing conditions started november 24th, preventing us from completing the november service. i now must be paid 75% of the total, it was $300, i got $150 down, which means the client owes me another $75. fair? how to word this

2. Ol'time Lawncare

Ol'time Lawncare LawnSite Senior Member
    from NJ

O.K. for Novembers service why don't you charge accordingly, each visit? let's say you going twice, charge 150 Pure each visit.

3. DUSTYCEDAR

DUSTYCEDAR LawnSite Fanatic
    from PA

u will be billed 150 for the initial cleanup due whenever u want it to be bobby but the other services will be billed on a first come first served basis which means if it snow/ice comes and we cannot serve your account tuff
    all subsequent services will be billed as per service and payment due upon completion.

4. roscioli

roscioli LawnSite Senior Member

Personally this is my favorite part!

5. HighGrass

HighGrass LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Z5 MA

I would try to simplify it. Just charge for what you do.

6. bobbygedd

from NJ

i'll tell you why. i can't control WHEN the biggest drop will occur. i can't control the WIND/RAIN. but i DO HAVE TO give these people a price, BEFORE i do the job, not after. these factors make it very difficult to price leaf cleanup. and i've determined, that quoting an hourly rate, is a major deterent. you will see , after you have been in business long enough, and decide that you really want to make REAL money, that it becomes more difficult, and simple things become more complicated.

7. Cigarcop

Cigarcop LawnSite Member

Easy buddy before you pop a vessel !

8. Turfdude

Turfdude LawnSite Bronze Member

BG,
    I know u don't wanna hear it, but.... this is y most of us (who do't know what we're doing of course), charge by the hour for leaf/debris removal. You don't know if leaves will be wet/dry, weathre will be breezy/calm, it will be cold/hot, etc. But then again U always like to re-invent the wheel. Good luck w/ur decision. What u posted abopve about leaf drop rates is another reason to charge by the hour. Just my $.02!

9. DistLawns

DistLawns LawnSite Member
    from Midwest

For those customers that you can't get to because of snow in November, tell them the remaining balance will go torwards their spring cleanup next year, So if they pay you 50 percent down at the beggining of november,and you provide half the services, tell them they can pay you the rest in Dec. and you will aply it to there spring cleanup, or tell them to keep it, and charge them that much more in the spring. This will insure these customers come back to you, and they will feel like they are getting the service at one time or another.

10. bobbygedd

from NJ

turfdude, i invite you here to do estimates. for every fall leaf cleanup you sell, at $65 per hour, per man, i'll give you a $100 bill. but, for every decline you get, you give me $40. fair?