1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Novice Question--Your Expertise is Greatly Appreciated

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by ItalyEd, Jun 29, 2004.

1. ItalyEd

ItalyEd LawnSite Member
    from texas

I live in North Texas. I have 4 acres of fairly flat land. I want to mow and mow quickly. I just sold two slow, slow garden tractors that would take me near 5 hours to mow my property.

I'm looking at buying a Gravely 44Z (w/ 17hp Kawasaki). It has a mowing top speed of 9 mph. According to Gravely, it will mow my property in 1 hour. I know if I take into account a slower speed for a better cut, I should still finish in two hours. That's acceptable to me.

Here's my question: My budget is between 4-5K. Am I buying a good mower (for $4100) that will do my job? I was also considering the Exmark Lazer CT at about $4800.

Your input is greatly appreciated.
  2. Runner

Runner LawnSite Fanatic

Your Gravely salesman is feeding you a line of molarchy, and if you think you're going to mow 4 acres with a 44 inch deck in an hour, you're in for a big disappointment. Look into something with about a 60" deck if you are going after 4 acres of flatland.
  3. Ax Man

Ax Man LawnSite Senior Member

It dosn't look like a 60 incher is in your budget, so the 44z will be much faster than the garden tractors you dumped.
    I think you will be happy, and you are probably right in a 2 hour time frame.
    I have a 252z and am impressed with the machine. add some high lift blades and it will cut better and faster.
  4. theservicingdealer

theservicingdealer LawnSite Member

I think 2 hours on a 44" inch is even being a little over the top. You should spend just a little more and get a 52" z. Look at a hustler fastrac. It is much heavier built . year warrenty. lifeime on the frame and the front of the deck. Also what is important on the z purchases that every one seems to overlook until they get home is the trim offset. The amount the deck sticks out past the wheels.The narrower you go the worst it gets. If you are going to get full advantage of a z thats important. You dont want your drive wheel in the flower beds or hitting trees.
    Check out a hustler-drive the zs. Not all z created equal.They steer different they feel different. My motto is drive before you buy!!!!