1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Now Accepting Credit Cards!!

Discussion in 'Business Operations' started by Stonehenge, Feb 5, 2001.

1. John Allin

John Allin LawnSite Bronze Member

I gotta check with her highness. You know she does the finances. She's sleeping now. She has "first duty" tomorrow. We have crews starting at 2 AM. I'll ask her in the morning and let you know.
  2. KirbysLawn

KirbysLawn Millenium Member

I had mine through Centura, $10 per month if no activity and nothing if I had activity (except the %). $70 seems like a lot, I would shop around.
  3. BillNero

BillNero LawnSite Member
    from IL

Mike Nelson ...........

Your quote seems EXTREMELY high to me. Check with the Bank your business account is with. For what its worth - I started with a third party CC vendor. After a year of them I researched better rates with their competion and got it. The funny thing is - as soon as I started to switch, the first company dropped their rates even lower.

Eventualy - our Bank pursued us - lower our rate from 1.80 to 1.67% and NO Transaction fees.

4. Mike Nelson

Mike Nelson LawnSite Senior Member

OK thanks for the heads up,I really appreciate all your input.

Kinda thought it was high,this was one of those telemarketers calling.

Thank You :D
  5. Stonehenge

Stonehenge LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Midwest

I'm a little further into the process now, and can share some additional information:

The rate I have thus far is 2.3% for Visa, 2.6% for MC. For an extra charge I can take AMEX and Discover. But there is also an $8/mo charge, and $0.20 per transaction. The charge I'm curious about is the setup. To run the numbers through some software via the internet, the cost of the software is $375. That seems high.

The other option is to have one of those card swipers in the office. Those are $265. Also seems high.

And here's the skinny on the discounts for cash. According to the paperwork I have, I can't charge MORE to a customer using a credit card, but I can offer a discount to a customer for using cash, check or chickens instead of the card.

And it appears that you can split payments between credit and cash/check. Might make it easier to sell the little extra they want but can't afford right now.
  6. Hello Everybody:

48% of our business so far for the past 3 months is charge card & growing at a rapid pace. Last year the first 3 months was about 32%!

Don't know about where you live but here The Sams Club adds the percentage back on your bill if you use a charge card. The Charge card companies are greedy & I don't think they would like loosing Sams Clubs Business.

Butt the Small Business Man I'm sure the Charge Card Companies would give you the Shaft in a Nano Second?

Everybody uses plastic Now, I only use it on the Internet!