now her dog is sick??

Discussion in 'Pesticide & Herbicide Application' started by americanlawn, Jul 25, 2008.

1. americanlawn

americanlawn LawnSite Fanatic
    from midwest

New customer this year...lawn was very thin, chalk full of weeds, and poorly maintained. The dog beat up the back yard really bad. First app was in late May (pre + dry fert app PLUS pulling out the hose for broadleaf weed control) all for $36.00 (a double app). We recently treated her lawn again 4 days ago. She is is "call ahead" so she knows we're coming out, and she can keep her dog inside. Again it was a "double app" (dry fert plus spraying the entire lawn that had mucho creeping Charlie, etc.)

"I hope readers realize that we were'nt makin' any money on this property cuz were having to make 2 treatments each time for 36 bucks".

Today..........she called our office this morning 6 different times (sometimes five minutes apart:confused:). She said we sprayed a "tennis ball" that her dog plays with, and now her dog is sick. I spoke with my applicator, and she said she never sprayed any play toys. Yet the customer swears we made he dog sick.

We used Chaser herbide (1.1 ounces per 1000 sq ft) and a 31-0-12 slow-release fert. Instructions were included with her invoice saying to keep off 'til dry.

Her invoice showed (in great detail) each product we used, including the 0.86% Chaser herbicide. Now she wants information as to what & how much we applied. :laugh: What's up with this? How much more honest & detailed can we get?

Is her dog sick, or is she?? What could we have done differently? (they come out of the woodwork this time of year). rscvp, thanks:usflag:
  2. kbrashears

kbrashears LawnSite Senior Member

Deny til you die, avoid, and drop.
  3. americanlawn

americanlawn LawnSite Fanatic
    from midwest

Ain't denying anything, but we dropped her like a Led Zepplin today. (my favorite band):usflag::canadaflag:
  4. Whitey4

Whitey4 LawnSite Silver Member

This one sounds like she was just looking for a lawsuit. My dog is sick.... let's find someone to blame it on... or she could just be a wacko.... I put it at 50-50.
  5. RigglePLC

RigglePLC LawnSite Fanatic

Explain to her that weed killers are tested for safety at a hundred times regular strength. At one ounce per thousand the dog would have to eat about a thousand sq ft of grass to reach the danger point. The EPA tests for dog safety, before registering the product for sale. On most labels the label does not require that pets stay off the lawn. Your product is no more toxic than Weed B Gone.

Ask for a letter from a verteranairn stating that there is no other possible cause. You will also need a blood test showing how many parts per million of any toxin is in the blood. This will require use of high pressure liquid chromotography, or maybe a gas chromatograph. She should also have the tennis ball tested and you need a report showing the parts per million on the ball. The dog may need to be tested to rule out the 10 most common dog diseases. Maybe your vet needs to check the dog's water bowl for bacteria. Stool sample? Urine sample? Vacination record?
    If you followed the label directions--you acted properly.
  6. DA Quality Lawn & YS

DA Quality Lawn & YS LawnSite Fanatic

You assume she is telling the truth.......I might call baloney on this one.
  7. LawnTamer

LawnTamer LawnSite Gold Member

She is full of it. Any one of your applicators gets more exposure in a whole day of spraying than her stupid dog got from a ball. Tell her that and dump her, which you already did. It really pisses me off when people are more worried about their dog than me.

Led Zepplin is, of course, awesome. Fool in the Rain.... great song.
  8. jbturf

jbturf LawnSite Bronze Member

american, apolagize for the off of main topic--why are you doing any apps that you
    "were'nt makin' any money on this property cuz were having to make 2 treatments each time for 36 bucks" ???
    please tell me you r not low balling our industry

anyway, i had a call (just couple weeks ago) customer complained dog was sick,
    right after lawn treatment, wanted to know what chemical(s) were used and if
    that would make the dog sick. I informed them that a pesticide was applied,
    though not designed to harm and animal, could potentialy make the dog sick if there were exposure to large enough quantity. I suggested he consult his vet, and take
    along the label and MSDS(supplied to customer) of the product applied.

i felt my bases were covered , and have heard nothing since.
    i am considering a follow up call though-- good idea?
  9. kbrashears

kbrashears LawnSite Senior Member

Sorry, 'deny til you die' is my old advice for those in a pickle with their girlfriend.

Dropping her wasn't a joke.

Fool In the Rain? Really? Plant and Page said that song was a 'mistake'. Now, if you had said In the Evening, you'd have something right there.
  10. ffemtmcd

ffemtmcd LawnSite Senior Member

I agree with Riggle - I had a customer complain recently that her dog (and her) were allergic to the fert. we were using. Anyone heard that before?? Made her dogs legs lose fur and break out in red welts - of course dog wasn't home at the time.