Now I know the feeling!

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by deereman, Apr 25, 2006.

1. deereman

deereman LawnSite Senior Member
    from USA

I always hear about the low-balling and slippery LCO's and always wonder if these types of things are really happening. I THOUGHT that everbody in our area, was on the same page as far as bidding goes and just plain honesty. Well Ive lost two (possible) accounts that were bidded out, and we were the low bid both times. The one we were real close so no big surprise that they got the bid as they were currently taking care of the property for the last several years and were happy with there work. Property manager calls and said he was sorry that we did not get the bid, and I told him not a problem that I understand that they are happy with them and I would want the same to happen to me if I was in there shoes. Then I have been waiting for two weeks on the outcome of the other bids , so I called the board member asking about the results, and he informed me that the other LCO came down below my bid so he could keep the property (as he was already had this one as well) I thought ...............is this a auction or is this a bid. I am not upset that I did not get the job, at least if it would have been fair and square. But I do not like the fact that the other LCO is calling around checking bids and then adjusting his price to get or keep accounts. Boy is it cutt throat or what!

2. topsites

topsites LawnSite Fanatic

It has been my experience you really need an inside connection to get a contract, all the rest is mostly bs.

3. sheshovel

sheshovel LawnSite Fanatic

That's just not right..in fact I think it is against the law!

4. scagwildcat

scagwildcat LawnSite Senior Member
    from nw. ct.

this is how it really works, what has happened to you is the price scam, if the people are happy with the guys work, why did they sent it to bid???
    WELL, because they wanted to get him to lower his/her price.. this is not really fair for any one that bids the property but it happens all the time, its really bid rigging....ive been throught it before, ive also been told that before by a property manager, he said that they are happy with the company that they have but they are trying to get them to lower their price, i told the guy not to bother me unless he really wants to hire someone...... this was said before, you really need to know some one to get into the (good bids) sad but true!!!!

5. topsites

topsites LawnSite Fanatic

Oh it gets better than that but yes I agree it's not fair first, but check it out:

A lot of these places are either a corporation or in some cases an association decides stuff via votes and meetings and bs... Either way, every year the lot maintenance thing, it is a procedure written out in the rules and bylaws so it has to be submitted for bidding and LOWEST bidder wins! That's how it is written so like it or not they have to submit their lot for maintenance bids even if the last guy was doing a great job, because that's how it is.

So one day along comes cutthroat Lco and underbids everybody, then wins the bid fair and square like everyone wanted, right? Yeah, then he does absolutely nothing but the bare minimum and the whole place falls to pieces and everybody there hates that, too!

So that's the problem in a nutshell, on the one hand you got what appears to be dirty play on their part but on the other what you have is folks are finding out ways to get around the rules in order to make sure the place looks spiffy and for the least amount of money (close to it is good enough) and now everybody wins.

Is it treachery, is it deceit? You call it anything you want, they want the place to look nice, they don't actually care for the lowest bidder but since we have to play the stupid game, play it we will but ultimately their place ain't gonna look like crap and that's all there is to it.

Most don't do this to mess around the honest Lco, most do this out of necessity after they got messed around enough times.
    I mean what would you do if you were the president of such a place? You can't decide for yourself because it doesn't work like that, but your lowest bidder so far is someone you know won't do squat the whole year and you're a big executive dood likes to drive up in your porsche and the place look nice so you can smile like a phaggot, right? Yeah, so you do what you got to do, sorry to say.

6. vkurt711

vkurt711 LawnSite Member

I think this demonstrates why it is a good policy to QUALIFY your customer BEFORE agreeing to give them a quote. A few simple questions may save you time and headache. "Are you happy with your current lawn care service?" "What services would you be interested in?" "Are you a real PITA that will find one blade of uncut grass every week and call to complain about it?" Well, maybe not that one, but you see where I'm going with this. Most can judge the intentions and needs of potential clients by asking the right questions up front.

7. mexiking

mexiking LawnSite Senior Member
    from NJ

you'll be okay...

8. PGA

PGA LawnSite Senior Member

Thats a great point. When I go on an estimate I always make it a point to find out who doing their lawn last, how much they were charging ,what went wrong and if there is any special instructions. We have just as much right to ask questions as they do.

9. deereman

deereman LawnSite Senior Member
    from USA

Yes Vkurt you have a very good point, and one that I think that I would try and incorporate into our future bids. I have shared my story with other locals and they all just shook there heads in disbelief. I was at the Deere dealership tonight and he gave me a little info on that other LCO that I will file with me in my back pocket for future use!