1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Now I think I am getting lazy in Florida

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by williams lcm, Jan 12, 2011.

1. williams lcm

williams lcm LawnSite Bronze Member

With all of the freezes and cold weather I think I am getting quite lazy. I love it . I have not edged or weed wacked in about 2 months. Shrubs and grass have not grown. I just make a few passes with the mower and then go. Just to make some noise. I do have some properties with leaves that need to be mulched, but that is it. I will have a hard time getting back to the routine when the grass gets growing again. It is easy just to mow and go without all the walking involved. Usually my feet and legs are tired by days end. My neighbors have not mowed their lawn since early Nov.
  2. QualityLawnCare4u

QualityLawnCare4u LawnSite Gold Member

You caught the same bug I have. Today I did three yards, did not even fire up a weedeater and was thinking to myself "why can't it be like this in June, this is going to make me lazy" LOL. When I finished felt like I had done nothing but gotten a little cold since it was 28 this morning. I will take this over 108 anyday!
  3. starc

starc LawnSite Member

I plowed snow here in Canada near Niagara Falls Ontario :(
  4. h2oskier

h2oskier LawnSite Senior Member

Is McDonalds looking like a option.:laugh::laugh:
  5. billslawn89

billslawn89 LawnSite Bronze Member

ya.. i've been out this week and only mowed 4 lawns and that was cuz of the leaves. some lawns i have not mowed since the week of christmas, and some the first week of december, but i am stopping by each of my clients yards to make an appearance and edge the driveway and walks and clean things up. another hard freeze for us in southwest florida tonight and tomorrow, so that should turn the new green grass that started growing, back to brown. nice to sit around and get paid, but ya, its getting boring.
  6. lifetree

lifetree LawnSite Fanatic

Wow, I would prefer warm weather to cold weather !!
  7. QualityLawnCare4u

QualityLawnCare4u LawnSite Gold Member

Actually I feel much better and have more energy working in the cold than I do in miserable 100 degree with 90% humidity, that totally zaps my energy. I can put on enough clothes to stay warm but can't take off enough legally to get cool.
  8. ed2hess

ed2hess LawnSite Fanatic

Yep I agree with that. It was 33F this morning and was just perfect for digging trenches for installing irrigation. We have had an almost perfect winter so far only a couple times down to a little bitty freeze.
  9. Landscape Poet

Landscape Poet LawnSite Gold Member

Did not even go out this week. Most customers will not even care .....most properties have not been mowed in forever.

I took a trip back to Missouri last week, so that killed some of the boredom, the bad news is some of their turf had more green in it than ours did.

I am taking a online course - which should be helping - but it is really hard to even get excited about even studying turf when I look outside and all I see is brown!

Finally upgraded my tv to Hi Def - added WD TV so I am enjoying movies - I am sure after the next couple of freezes that are expected next week is going to be very uneventful too.
  10. Man, I wish we were getting more freezes. My nice yards have been every 3 weeks for actual cutting. My few Bahia have been 2 months now I believe and won't be cut for another 2-4. I still have been raking, pruning certain plant material and spraying. I hope we get 1 more freeze in feb that will slow things up till end of march or so.
    Posted via Mobile Device