Now, I've heard it all - unbelievable.

Discussion in 'Business Operations' started by JimMarshall, Jul 10, 2013.

1. JimMarshall

JimMarshall LawnSite Senior Member
    from NW PA

So, on Monday, I had one of my local competitors stop by my office. This guy is the epitome of fly-by-night. No licensing, no insurance, cash only, doesn't pay taxes, etc.... and he does his best to undercut any and every legitimate operation within 50 miles of here....

So, he stops by my office looking to borrow a piece of equipment that I have for a job he is doing..... Because "he didn't bid enough on the job to be able to afford to rent one"

:hammerhead::hammerhead::hammerhead::hammerhead::hammerhead:

Really? Really? Maybe if you would quit doing $50 worth of work for $20, you'd be able to afford the tools and equipment you need.

2. doobs41378

doobs41378 LawnSite Member

Did you give it to him?

3. easy-lift guy

easy-lift guy LawnSite Gold Member

Jim, your post is not describing your competitor. More like a parasite. Cut your ties from this person and concentrate of your own business objectives. If you let this person continue to be a part of your business life he will
    drag you down and you can not recover the emotional capital spent because ofhim. Move forward.
    easy-lift guy

Last edited: Jul 10, 2013
  4. alldayrj

alldayrj LawnSite Gold Member

Lol what did he need? A shovel and wheelbarrow? Offer him a job and then fire him in 2 weeks
    Posted via Mobile Device

5. JimMarshall

JimMarshall LawnSite Senior Member
    from NW PA

Hell no!

I don't have any ties to this person. I've seen him at the gas station a couple times and heard stories of him all around town... What led him to believe I would let him borrow a shovel let alone the equipment he wanted is beyond me.

Looking for an earth auger

6. OakNut

OakNut LawnSite Platinum Member

Can I borrow it then, if he's not using it?

:D

7. nismothunder

nismothunder LawnSite Member

^ I want it after him.

8. RWI

RWI Banned
    from GA

I think this is where the !@#$ word comes into place. I have this happen to me. I just tell them to sub it out to real landscape contractor.

9. Dunlaps LawnCare

Dunlaps LawnCare LawnSite Senior Member

ahhhh gotta love the Venango county fly buy night!

10. vegandude

vegandude LawnSite Senior Member

I have a freind who's been in the business for about 6 years that I mentored quite a bit. After all this time he still refuses to apply anything that I taught him and will only by wore out, cheap crap and keeps trying to borrow equip. The only time I will talk to him now is if he stops at a job that I am working at. Just plain old got sick of the bs:hammerhead: