Now I've heard it all.

Discussion in 'Landscape Maintenance' started by JimMarshall, Apr 9, 2013.

1. JimMarshall

JimMarshall LawnSite Senior Member
    from NW PA

Just got off the phone with someone wanting to know if it was an appropriate time to trim their shrubs. I asked what kind of shrubs, and got "Well theres a big green one, and a couple smaller green ones, and some other green ones that are a different color green, and some rhodo-bushes":hammerhead:

2. Armsden&Son

Armsden&Son LawnSite Silver Member

Tell him 20 green ones for each green one!

3. Smallaxe

Smallaxe LawnSite Fanatic

This phone call is describing 'evergreens',,, and this is a perfect time to prune almost any and every tree/shrub in Zones w/winter... yews, are darker green than cedars, and the larger one is likely a columnar arb., if not a tree...

4. JimMarshall

from NW PA

Yeah, I'm pretty familiar with tree and shrub identification, and right now is not an appropriate time to trim flowering bushes.....

5. Smallaxe

You are correct about that... they would have been done shortly after flowering the previous year...
    I was referring to plants that NEED pruning... sorry that I wasn't clear... :)

6. JimMarshall

from NW PA

Speaking of shrubs that NEED pruning, does it ever amaze anyone else how much you can take off of stuff without killing it? Several years ago I cut 5 Rhododendrons at my own house that were about 15 feet tall down to being 3 foot tall stumps with like 4 leaves on them...... Today you would never know.

7. Smallaxe

People really freak out when you suggest that type of pruning...
    I freak out if the buds I was counting on to come alive, after that type of pruning, die... :)

8. DA Quality Lawn & YS

DA Quality Lawn & YS LawnSite Fanatic

Yeah DON'T prune that rhododendron now.....
    It pains me when I talk to people that have spring-trimmed spring flowering shrubs. Have to break it to em that you won't be seeing any blossoms this year:)

9. Smallaxe

Drastic pruning of the rhodies this time of year will take all the blossoms,,, selective pruning to open up the rhodie only takes some of the blossoms...

The advantage to selective pruning ,,, now,,, is that not Springtime Energy goes into the branches that are going to be cut... but many times that "Advantage" is unnecessary...

So it is always a Judgement Call rather than a black and white, right or wrong issue... :)

10. JimMarshall

from NW PA

I always advise people to wait until something is done flowering before we trim it, unless they specifically want/need it done immediately. We've been in business for 35 years, and at the age of 25, I've been working here for 15. One of the things we pride ourselves on is how much better our properties look than the ones around here that are done by new/inexperienced guys that don't know their head from their ass.