Now or Later?????

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Mowman, Nov 23, 2001.

1. Mowman

Mowman LawnSite Senior Member

Do you guy's/gal's service your equipment before you store it for the winter, or do you wait till spring to get everything ready for the season? I'm not sure to do it now or wait. I'am going to scrape the deck and spray some WD-40 under it but am wondering if the rest can wait till spring. What do you all do?
    Thanks,

Mowman

2. MOW ED

MOW ED LawnSite Fanatic

All of my equipment gets cleaned and gone over from top to bottom at the end of the season. It's not good to leave the contaminated oil in the engines over the storage season.(hard to think winter) The batteries come out and go in the basement. Along with all the general maintenance and winterizing I make a list of everything that I need to order like worn out parts as I would rather have to wait now than need it in the busy spring time and probably not get it.
    I repaint the bottom side of the deck and avoid the oil based stuff like wd-40 as it tends to hold dirt.
    I'd really advise doing all the work now when its slow and when its time to get out in the spring, you can get right at it.

3. Change the oil and filter. Keeping the old oil in the crankcase over winter is not good. Add fuel stabilizer and run the machine till hot.

I leave the batteries in place and try to start them once a month and run for 15 minutes to charge up the battery.

Plus I change the air cleaners on all the front line equipment plus I check the belts and driveline parts and install new tires if needed.

4. Guido

Guido LawnSite Silver Member

You have the time now during the slow season, so that should be reason alone to do most of the maintenance. You don't want to start replacing parts first thing in the Spring when you want to get back to work.

5. Richard Martin

Richard Martin LawnSite Fanatic

I agree with what everyone said. Do it now.:blob3:

6. keifer

keifer LawnSite Senior Member

If you do it yourself why not take you time and do it through the winter that way you wont be in a rush in the spring.

7. TJLC

TJLC LawnSite Bronze Member

Boy am I glad I don't have to "winterize" anything!

8. I work on the mowers when the snow is done falling. (if it snows)
    Other wise they run all year long.

9. kutnkru

kutnkru LawnSite Silver Member

Those are some GREAT candies -LOL!!!

In all seriousness as the others have advised NOW is the best time for preventative maintenance against damages to your equipment next season!!!

Enjoy the snow boyz. ;)

Kris

10. 65hoss

65hoss LawnSite Fanatic

Do it now if you don't plan to use it anymore this season. Be sure to fix any of those items that you've been putting off.